What's new
What's new

Sieg C3 half nut lever threads

TimmyTurner

Plastic
I bought a Sieg C3 second-hand off of Craig's list. It's missing the lever that engages/disengages the half nut. I would like to make a replacement for it, but I can't fit my gauges into the hole to measure the pitch. If someone could measure the threads on theirs and post it here I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is how I deal with measuring the pitch of a small tapped hole. I start with a wooden dowel a little larger than the hole. Then I use a knife to carve the end of the dowel into a triangular shape just a little bit too large to fit into the hole. Then I twist the wood into the hole as deep as possible and then unscrew it. The wood will now be visibly marked with the threads and the pitch can be measured with a common metric or inch pitch gage. I find a good stereo microscope makes it a lot easier to use pitch gages.

And this is a non-productive place to expect a reader to own a little hobby machine. But we do know how to do common machinist tasks, regardless of the machine in question.

Larry

I bought a Sieg C3 second-hand off of Craig's list. It's missing the lever that engages/disengages the half nut. I would like to make a replacement for it, but I can't fit my gauges into the hole to measure the pitch. If someone could measure the threads on theirs and post it here I would greatly appreciate it.
There are lots of Sieg units around, under one badge or another. You should be able to find spare parts.

I use silly putty in the hole and then a thread pitch gauge. If you aren't familiar with it silly putty is the bouncing putty they sell inside molded egg shells. Also good for checking engraving in molds etc.

Here is how I deal with measuring the pitch of a small tapped hole. I start with a wooden dowel a little larger than the hole. Then I use a knife to carve the end of the dowel into a triangular shape just a little bit too large to fit into the hole. Then I twist the wood into the hole as deep as possible and then unscrew it. The wood will now be visibly marked with the threads and the pitch can be measured with a common metric or inch pitch gage. I find a good stereo microscope makes it a lot easier to use pitch gages.

And this is a non-productive place to expect a reader to own a little hobby machine. But we do know how to do common machinist tasks, regardless of the machine in question.

Larry
That's a really good solution, thanks for the tip.

Back