What's new
What's new

Siemens vs Fanuc, what would be the best Controller for a CNC?

I am going to buy a CNC, and I want to choose which controller to use in the machine. Also, I am new to this CNC paradigm. How compatible would each controller be with Fusion 360? Please enlighten me.

Post processor from Fusion translates the file so that it is compatable with your controller. Choice of controller comes down to a few things.

What type of work you are doing
Options and price.
Availability of service and parts.
Fanuc are bullet proof but disliked by many.

Siemens work great but I have only had bad experiences with the local agent.
Heidenhain are great.
Mistsubishi are also great.

Those aren't the only two controls in the world. Actually, I like bendix / dynapath. In fact, they are better laid out and more logical than fanuc. And everyone who has heidenhain seems to love them.

About siemens, people in the US hate them but germany and china seem to have entirely different service experiences. Maybe siemens should fire their entire north america staff and start over.

Please elaborate more @SteveEx30
You're more likely to get an answer to a problem with a Fanuc Control than you are for a Siemens on this Forum, simply through the weight of numbers of members using machines fitted with Fanuc Controls..

And as triumph 406 mentioned, you will get support from Fanuc on very early Fanuc Controls.

Regards,

Bill

Can anyone explain this.

The Siemens and Fanuc controllers are actually pretty similar. But the one big plus with the Siemens is that when you set the z height, you just touch your tool off against height setting guage/block and subtract by the height of the guage/block.

With a Fanuc... You have to subtract the tool height from the machine's z height to get your height offset... Which requires using a calculator and navigating between your tool offset and height offset pages. Which increases the likelihood you'll get the wrong z offset by mistake.

Yes are you from colombo too?
No I am in Australia however I have friends in Galle, Anurhadapura and Matale that I speak to on a daily basis and I know your country well. I was there in March cycling from Negombo to Anurhadapura then down to Hambantota and back along the coast to Negombo. I will be there again towards the middle of next year.

There are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
  • What type of machining are you planning to do. If you aren't doing complex 3D surfaces a more basic control will do.
  • Are you buying the machine from a local dealer or is it being imported.
  • Do you have a local service agent and if not where is the service agent based.
  • What CNC control is predominantly used in your country.
  • Unless you are running the machine yourself what is the most common machine that technical college students are trained on.
  • How stable is your power, I know there have been issues around power in Sri Lanka.
If your service is out of India the Siemens is very popular there. Forget about the Anilam's etc. As Angelw says the Fanuc are supported for an eternity. Mitsubishi is also a very good control. Heidenhain is a very good control and I have never seen one give problems in 40 plus years.

Can anyone explain this.

The Siemens and Fanuc controllers are actually pretty similar. But the one big plus with the Siemens is that when you set the z height, you just touch your tool off against height setting guage/block and subtract by the height of the guage/block.

With a Fanuc... You have to subtract the tool height from the machine's z height to get your height offset... Which requires using a calculator and navigating between your tool offset and height offset pages. Which increases the likelihood you'll get the wrong z offset by mistake.
This all depends on how you are setting up your machine. My method is as below which doesn't involve any calculators.
  1. Measure height from tool setter whether dial gauge, gauge block or Z set to the top of your job.
  2. Insert this value in G54 Z value whether negative or positive.
  3. Bring tool down to measuring position on tool setter.
  4. Check distance from the machine reference point to tool setter as displayed in machine co-ordinates.
  5. Insert this value into your applicable tool offset, this value will always be negative.

About siemens, people in the US hate them but germany and china seem to have entirely different service experiences. Maybe siemens should fire their entire north america staff and start over.
Siemens is letting go a large portion of their German engineers and eu manufacturing. North American staff is for sale with the fire sale of their motors and drives divisions.
Germany did just extend a few billion dollar bailout to them, still not enough to recover tge “mismanaged” 100 billion (or 101 billion, hard to say) down payments they still have not delivered product or service on.
Banks have stopped lending them money, bond rating is junk.
They are paying assurances to key stock holders while not doing contracted services - like drinking water to Jackson Mississippi. People have died from their corporate board. I hope their bankruptcy lands at least some in jail.

Back