What's new
What's new

Silver Drill Press

Larry Teague

Aluminum
I recently bought an old belt driven drill press that has an I.D tag on it identifying it as made by the Silver Mfg. Company of Salem Ohio. This beautiful old thing has 8 speeds, utilizing some sort of drum style reduction gearing or back gear to control spindle speed and a much smaller belt driven system for the auto feed. It's got a lever setup for the automatic feature that looks like it could hurt me if I do something rash when the thing is running. I understand these kinds of belt driven machines were built until about 1950, but the electric motor that came with the drill has a list of patents on it, the last being in 1910. I don't know if this is the original motor, it was made by Wagner Electic Co. in St. Louis, I think it's 1.5 or 2 hp. I think me and the two guys that helped me roll this thing into my shop would agree it weights about 6 or 700 lbs, not including the motor. That item must be close to a 100 lbs. I'm new to the forum today and any info would really be appreciated. I also understand that even in the 'old days' certain manufactures made products that were sold under other vendor names, so maybe this horse has other names but the same specs -- you know what I mean?

Back