What's new
What's new

Single tank dual pump air compressor setup/hookup

Yet the problem with starting a new thread is you will be told "this has already been discussed, use the search function." I would like to inquire what is proper protocol or etiquette when search function has been used and there are still questions unanswered?
I dunno, but bumping a 5 year old thread is an ironic way to start the discussion.

Last edited:
Yet the problem with starting a new thread is you will be told "this has already been discussed, use the search function." I would like to inquire what is proper protocol or etiquette when search function has been used and there are still questions unanswered?
The approach that I think would get respect would be to say, "I'm having this problem. I've looked at this(1) and this(2) but still have these questions." It shows that you've tried, it shows what ground you've already traversed, so I think people would be more inclined to give an intelligent answer even if it's to say here(1) and here(2) are discussions you may have missed.

Weld/thread-o-let

If one wants to add a tap the proper procedure would be to weld and NDT a thread-o-let onto the receiver. These manufactured fittings are designed to handle the stresses involved with adding a hole to the periphery of a thin wall vessel.

We use them all the time to pressures vastly exceeding you air compressor.
But then you need the tank recertified in many jurisdictions.

I drilled and tapped the welded plug that was in the tank already, it was a 1/2" I just enlarged it to 3/4" since it could not hurt anything and thought it might be needed for the added volume entering the tank from two compressors.
I knew of someone who said he made the existing hole larger so that his tank would fill faster.
But when I look at air flow equations the small hole will have a higher air velocity compared to a larger hole. So what?
Anyway, I think remember looking at the work in progress. He TIG welded a collar on the tank with a larger hole.
This was done on a new 80 gal vertical single stage.

Last edited:

Back