What's new
What's new

Slightly OT: Has the specification for wire gauge changed?

Thanks for posting that as when I use my wire strippers and see the modern wire very often does not seem to match standard wire gauges? Either it cuts the wire or only takes off part of the insulation.

Lot's of modern wire is odd sized. Regardless of what it marked with on the jacket.
I wonder if the strippers are correct for metric wire and just re-marked with the closest AWG sizing? I assume other then USA and probably Canada the rest of the world uses metric size wires.
Bill D

So a 20 AWG wire, which measures 0.032" (0.813mm) would be rounded down to 0mm. No wire at all, just insulation?

That does not make any sense at all. Even for the Chinese.

In the last decade plywood has switched to metric without letting customers know. I wonder if the same has happened with wire. They measure existing USA made wire and round the size down to the nearest mm without changing the designation.
Bill D

Well, that proves nothing. I have stripped many wires and used many wire strippers. I never found a wire stripper that worked well with any size of wire.

With the price of copper (they even make coins with it) I suspect that no manufacturer of copper wire wants to use even an extra 0.0001" in the diameter of the wire they produce.

Wire strippers are another thing. Most are so cheaply made that they are all but useless.

Thanks for posting that as when I use my wire strippers and see the modern wire very often does not seem to match standard wire gauges? Either it cuts the wire or only takes off part of the insulation.

Lot's of modern wire is odd sized. Regardless of what it marked with on the jacket.

Reactions: Ox

Back