What's new
What's new

Slip roll tolerance?

pcm81

Cast Iron
I got a cheap slip roller from Amazon. 24inch for $300... wasn't expecting much.. seems to work OK... ish...
I have 15 to 20 thousandths gap between the 2 main rollers in the middle when the bottom roller raised all the way up. The gap goes to 0 near the ends of the rollers on both sides. The gap is only present during certain rotational position of the rollers and goes away/decreases at other position (rotation of the roller)

My question is: Is this something i should try to even out or just leave it be? Not sure how much center gap is reasonable for 24" roller. I suspect I'll have to grind/polish the rollers to be more true round and centered to fix it.

Thanks

Last edited:
They don't feel wobbly in their sockets, i am thinking slightly warped or uneven diameter. After playing with rotation and up down adjustment the gap in the middle decreased to 0.0015" as in i can stick a 0.0015" feeler between fully closed rollers in the middle without it being grabbed, but it won't go in between static rollers closer to the sides (will be grabbed and pulled in if i turn rollers).

EDIT:
I realize that troubleshooting this china made thing is probably more of an effort than would be fair to ask of from the great members of this forum, so just limiting my inquery to expected tolerances for now.

Last edited:
If it helps, my 50 year old pexto slip rolls 48" and 60", when adjusted to the pinch point run very true across the rollers through the complete cycle/turn. Even our 10' and 14' heavy plate rollers are probably no more then 1/16" clearance across the rollers when pinched through the cycle.

1/16" over 14' is like 0.009" for 24" so sounds like mine is onpar with that. I might do some sanding or scraping later, but it sounds like it is on-par with what should be expected for a tool like that.

1/16" over 14' is like 0.009" for 24" so sounds like mine is onpar with that. I might do some sanding or scraping later, but it sounds like it is on-par with what should be expected for a tool like that.
The true test is roll a piece of steel and see what it comes out like.

Back