What's new
What's new

Slitting SS pipe

Froneck

Titanium
My customer wants something stronger then PVC pipe that's breaking. Looks close to 3/4 pipe with .70" ID, sch. 80? Has 82 slits that .015" gauge pin fits, distance between slots 5mm. Slots are .70 wide cut straight across so opening into ID is only about 3/8" wide, 3 rows of slits total 246. Wants 32 of them. McMaster has .014" and .016" slitting saws, I'm thinking fine tooth blade is better. 316 easier to cut than 304? I'll ask about using sch.40, will be less cutter depth.
82 don't divide well, 41 X 2 but 41 blades will cost a fortune. I don't want to double cut any slot, width is critical. Any suggestions? Job is somewhat rush I have a week and a half maybe 2 weeks. Do have a pair of 6" matched mill vises I can make vee groove jaws for and use in my Horz. mill. Any ideas?

What is od? Id matches 1/2 pipe sch 10, which pvc would come relatively common in.
Laser might work, Peter beat me to that....
I would see if you could drill instead of slot. How long is each pipe?

As I mentioned it's 3/4" pipe, threaded 3/4" -14 NPT on the end. Other end is closed. As far as I know it's a filter of some sort. In showing me the sample I have they picked off this tiny ball of material to show me when I asked if slot could be larger than .015".
Actual OD of PVC sample is 27mm with 18mm ID give or take a few thousandths. This is for food plant. Not sure if this is use in contact with food, item itself is not but not sure about the tiny balls mentioned above. PVC pipe dimension are about sch. 80 3/4" pipe. Probably can used sch. 40. Sample is about 450mm long.
I'm trying to get more information.

Some 45 years ago my father, who worked in the water treatment business, showed me some samples as you have described.
Lots of 20 thou slots in a tube to prevent Ion Exchange Resin beads passing through. If they could make them then you can make them now.
These were beautiful slots no roughness.

You might find some standard parts that might suit if you contact similar.

I have a #2 size light duty K&T mill, type that has the gear speed selector on the right hand side, not left like most K&Ts. Good mill using 40 NMTB taper. Has coolant pump, haven't used coolant it in a while so I'll have to clean it out, I'll bet there is a nasty swamp creature in the sump! Thinking of 10 cutters, maybe I can skip the last 2. Yeah I thought of thin wall tubing and silver solder a plug on the end for 3/4 pipe threads.
I'm told these tubes are under so type of stone but where the tube is attached wobbles/vibrates and tube breaks off at first slot.
I guess the 72 tooth cutter is my only option since the fine tooth has small arbor hole.

I have a #2 size light duty K&T mill, type that has the gear speed selector on the right hand side, not left like most K&Ts. Good mill using 40 NMTB taper. Has coolant pump, haven't used coolant it in a while so I'll have to clean it out, I'll bet there is a nasty swamp creature in the sump! Thinking of 10 cutters, maybe I can skip the last 2. Yeah I thought of thin wall tubing and silver solder a plug on the end for 3/4 pipe threads.
I'm told these tubes are under so type of stone but where the tube is attached wobbles/vibrates and tube breaks off at first slot.
I guess the 72 tooth cutter is my only option since the fine tooth has small arbor hole.
Ok good machine.....no less than .083 wall.....
unsupported is bad, 304 may not break off but may bend
May ask customer about some sort of end support??
Or reduce depth of slots but add more........
You could just use a coolant pump that is stand alone , like some lathes, and just plumb the table into it.
Have a 1 and 3 K&T and cleaning sumps isn't my choice of job...lol

I do have a little giant pump I can use to avoid cleaning out the sump. Depth of cut is probably dependent on opening size, without measuring I guesstimate the opening to be .015 X 3/8" That's in the thick wall PVC about .17". As I mentioned support is not needed due to small stones supporting the 16 tubes. The flex I'm told is at the mounting point that wobbles/vibrates.
Plunge or down feeding the cutter would lessen the width of the cut but might be a problem. Maybe combination of the cut type.

As I mentioned the tubes are in gravel of some sort. They are supported their entire length. From what I'm told where they are attached, I assume it to be some type of sump pump with motor mounted on the top. Wobble or vibration widens the first slot and soon the tube breaks. I assume it breaks quite often so they are willing to invest in SS pipe. My guess is that hey have been trying other means to prevent breakage that didn't work.
Not sure why it was moved here, would like help selecting cutter speed and feed rate I can use on my Horz. mill!

Last edited:
I check with a friend that does wire EDM, it can be done but cost will be about $5 a slot that would add up to $1230 plus the cost of the SS pipe. The end has to be threaded 3/4 NPT and other end capped. Looks like $1500/pipe x 32 will cost $48,000.
I doubt the company will want to spend that much when PVC is working.

lol on the edm....just go with your Horiz and keep the coolant on the heavy side.
Your going to have to get started if you're going to meet the time frame....haha
Do you have caps? if not, I could punch some out of 16/14 ga 304 and send them to you....flat blanks.
you are going to tig?

I thought silver solder would be quick. I tried contacting the company but they didn't answer my repeated calls so I e-mailed them. Another thought was a pipe plug, type with hex socket. Maybe for clean out.
when I get an answer I'll let you know about the plugs. Size will depend on what pipe they want, sch.40, 80 or thin wall.
I'm also thinking about large diameter spacers, cutter diameter is 2-3/4" if I use 2" diameter spacers between cutters they would be quite rigid.

Back