What's new
What's new

Slotting brass

I will keep an eye out and see what costs are both ways.

If I fold....

I need tooling to make a vee, and then flatten.
I will also need to anneal them. To anneal a few over and over I would need a small heat treat oven. I was looking at a 500 dollar one. I could do the first few with a torch but eventually an oven would make sense. Slowly adds up.

Slitting brass...

Need a mill.
What else would add up after this? Tooling? And...?

I made a suspension spring for a tower clock. I used soft 0.063 Inch brass sheet folded over using some simple tooling I made up. I put the spring in place and closed the brass over the spring by hammering, finishing it off so no marks showed. Since the spring was in tension, riveted pins held everything together, with brass on the top and bottom. The suspension spring was only about an inch and a half wide, the work did not require longer tooling.

Folding the brass was simple, and the finished product looked so traditional that I feel you will be more. pleased with the folding approach than trying to slit the groove.

I will keep an eye out and see what costs are both ways.

If I fold....

I need tooling to make a vee, and then flatten.
I will also need to anneal them. To anneal a few over and over I would need a small heat treat oven. I was looking at a 500 dollar one. I could do the first few with a torch but eventually an oven would make sense. Slowly adds up.

Slitting brass...

Need a mill.
What else would add up after this? Tooling? And...?

Work holding can be a significant expense, especially when the rigidity of your part changes so much. Also consider deburring.

I'm pretty sure the cost of a decent Arbor press and the bar stock to make your dies is way less than a milling machine with the associated tooling and a pair of matched vices to hold your long parts securely. (Although I suppose one could use the milling machine to make a fixture to hold the parts, but that's more cutters.)

Availability is another issue to consider. The press, etc. is all readily available, while the milling solution requires finding a suitable used machine.

Back