What's new
What's new

Slow down G00 speed

FORUONLYFROM007

Plastic
Hello, I am hobbyist running a Haas mini at home. When executing G00 in the X and Y direction, it sways the machine a little. I understand that it's better to secure the machine to the floor so it works perfectly as in the book. As mentioned, this is a home machine and I am willing to sacrifice a little cycle time to go around the trouble of a full anchoring down. I only have issue on G00 rapid. Is there a setting to limit the max travel speed on the Haas?

Yes if I am writing gcode myself, which I am not. I have no control of what the SolidCam puts out base on the post. That's why finding a setting to limit the max travers speed is probably the only way to do it unless I know how to modify the post.

Thankyou very much for your help. I am starting to wonder whether this is a forum for people to get help and to learn or just for those snob who thinks they know it all.

Thankyou very much for your help. I am starting to wonder whether this is a forum for people to get help and to learn or just for those snob who thinks they know it all.

Well, the place is not intended for people who insist on doing things in the stupidest way possible and who are too lazy to spend thirty seconds finding the correct answer

There is a rapid override on the control you can lower it in 3 percentage increments or you can do it with the hand wheel to custom tailor your setting.

I know very little about haas, or machining. The internet says turn on setting 10 and your rapids are capped at 50%.

If I can do it, eg and digger are correct.

Well, the place is not intended for people who insist on doing things in the stupidest way possible and who are too lazy to spend thirty seconds finding the correct answer

You are really one short sighted ignorant mf. You don't even know to to do it, but insist your work around is the only way. If you are so unhappy is discussing my topic, you can just shut your hole. There's no shortage of people who really understand the problem open to discuss different possibilitirs. So go dig a hole buddy.

There is a parameter (1420) in Fanuc which defines the G00 speed.
There might be a similar parameter in Haas.

Hello, I am hobbyist running a Haas mini at home. When executing G00 in the X and Y direction, it sways the machine a little. I understand that it's better to secure the machine to the floor so it works perfectly as in the book. As mentioned, this is a home machine and I am willing to sacrifice a little cycle time to go around the trouble of a full anchoring down. I only have issue on G00 rapid. Is there a setting to limit the max travel speed on the Haas?

I think you are the short sided one. this forum is mostly for people making a living.
There are "other" forum's for hobbyist. EG responds in 4mins and you don't like his solution.
You won't anchor it, won't learn the code, but he is short sighted. lol
Grow some thicker skin.

Last edited:
Yes if I am writing gcode myself, which I am not. I have no control of what the SolidCam puts out base on the post. That's why finding a setting to limit the max travers speed is probably the only way to do it unless I know how to modify the post.

I don't use SolidCam but Fusion 360 allows you to set rapids as feed moves or G00. I'd be surprised if other software systems don't offer the same. Just set the machine's maximum travel speed at whatever you want the rapids to be and you're good to go. Just bear in mind the 5,25,50 % rapid buttons won't work when using this feature which can lead to some squeeky bum moments if you're not expecting it.

The reason they do it is for collision avoidance (G00 can travel in a dog leg path whereas a feed move will travel in a straight line which is handy when avoiding fixtures as it's more predictable) but I don't see why you couldn't use it for your purposes.

If you'd rather do it in the control just give HAAS a call. Every time I've been on the phone to them they've been helpful (although some parameter settings do require one of their service techs to come out).

how do you have the machine sitting right now? When you say secured to the floor do you mean drilled anchors into the floor or just sitting on pads. If you're currently sitting on pads and it's swaying then I would suggest properly leveling the machine before you go any further. If you don't have one yet pick up a used machinists level on ebay or craigslist and search for videos on how to calibrate it and how to rough level then check twist.

Hi FORUONLYFROM00:
Marccongdon has it right; you need the machine to be sited on a solid surface and you need to have all four feet contacting that surface with even pressure.
Bonus if you get the machine properly leveled with a precision level (0,0005" in 12") but Haas says it's not really necessary for these piddler machines.

When you do that, you can whizz the machine around at full rapids and it'll sit rock stable.
My Minimill is leveled on stable concrete, and I've run it 22 years that way at full rapids without problems.
It's not bolted down.

So first find out if your floor is flexing.
If it is...fix it, if you hope to get any consistent accuracy out of the machine.
You may have to go so far as to throw a 3/8" mild steel plate under the feet and grout the plate in place if the floor is marginal.

If it is stable, unwind the foot that's not touching until it does and then get the same pressure on each foot.
An easy way to get even pressure on all feet, is to use a torque wrench on each leveling foot bolt head.

If you want to get it reasonably level, you can use a carpenter's level.

If you want to get it PROPERLY level, there are two common ways:
1) Borrow a proper level.
2) Plug the ends of the tee slots with plasticene, fill them up partially with coolant and depth mike down at each end until you just touch the liquid surface with your depth mike rod.
When 4 readings at the 4 corners of the machine table are identical. the top surface of the table is level.

That's it...simple but a bit of a PITA to do.
Good thing is, if the floor is reasonably stable or can be made so, you'll only have to do it once.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

The problem is there, no matter the travel speed. G0 just enhances the movement so you notice it.

Back