What's new
What's new

Small 3 phase coolant pump?

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I recently bought a Kysor Johnson horizontal band saw.
Coolant pump is missing.
Saw is 220V three phase.
It doesn't need to be much of a pump. Heck, a little submersible pump off of a tile saw would probably do.
However, those are all 110V single ph and I'd REALLY like it to turn on and auto shut off with the saw.
Does anyone know of a small, cheap, 3 ph pump that would do the job?
Thanks

A single phase can be wired right into a three phase system, no problem. Just use one of the three hot legs instead of all three. Make sure you have a " neutral" AND "ground" for safety. And fuse separately with any pump.

Edit; for 110 v. ........For 220, two legs... Obviously.

it is very common for machine tools to have/had a transformer for auxiliary motors, accessories, and lights. two hots are stepped down to power the 110 V stuff, and this doesn't require a neutral, and can be used with 440, 570, and other voltages with appropriate transformer taps.

of course on modern units, its an inverter supply, but my '45 Doall and '40s(?)kalamazoo both had/have transformers for such.

A single phase can be wired right into a three phase system, no problem. Just use one of the three hot legs instead of all three. Make sure you have a " neutral" AND "ground" for safety. And fuse separately with any pump.

Edit; for 110 v. ........For 220, two legs... Obviously.

NO!! not any three phase system. that only applies to 220-240 wye, and avoiding the high leg, 240 delta.

Well Mr. Milicron,
Thanks but no thanks for moving my post over here. This board gets about 15% of the traffic of the General board. I'm not so well versed in electrics so my next tact would Not have been to inquire about a transformer but a small belt driven pump that I could piggyback onto the main drive. Do you happen to know of one or should I ask another question over there?

Look up Flair coolant pumps. You can probably find one on eBay for a good price if you don't want to buy a new one. I've got one of their little 1/8 HP 3 phase pumps on my surface grinder, has been pretty reliable.

Well Mr. Milicron,
Thanks but no thanks for moving my post over here. This board gets about 15% of the traffic of the General board. I'm not so well versed in electrics so my next tact would Not have been to inquire about a transformer but a small belt driven pump that I could piggyback onto the main drive. Do you happen to know of one or should I ask another question over there?

It's how this board is run, quite griping, follow the rules and stick around for awhile.
You might learn something.

Well Mr. Milicron,

If you want a question about electric stuff answered, this is the place, 15% or not.

And, you seem to have gotten answers.

Just remember that you do not need a 3 phase pump. You can wire a 220V / 240V single phase between any two wires of the three phase.

If your pump is 120V, then the best and most universal way is to use a transformer so that you do not require a neutral.

From a phase converter, you "can" use one of the pass-through lines to neutral, but it won't work on any regular 3 phase other than 208, and maybe not then, depending on whether the neutral was pulled to your outlet.

It's how this board is run, quite griping, follow the rules and stick around for awhile.
You might learn something.

I replied to you the other day but the powers that be saw fit to remove it.
Funny that.
It seems a guy can engage in the most foul mouthed rants, political ravings and ad hominen attacks here but you cant call someone who makes a snide, unhelpful reply a "Karen".
Anyway, I learned how to add a small transformer - on the tractor forum - and have it working now.

20220219_170936.jpg

I replied to you the other day but the powers that be saw fit to remove it.
Funny that.
It seems a guy can engage in the most foul mouthed rants, political ravings and ad hominen attacks here but you cant call someone who makes a snide, unhelpful reply a "Karen".

I deleted it, because it contributed nothing and was only calling someone names.

I also delete that other guy's posts (or edit out the bad parts) when I see 'em. If I missed one on this particular subforum, let me know and I'll deal with it also. I only do this one.

Subject closed, please.

The transformer was suggested here by more than one person IIRC....... you did not ask how.

Back