What's new
What's new

SO it looks like we are getting a thread roller

That's a big step. Probably not catered for in one machine, definitely not covered by one threading head.
The reed roll threader previously mentioned will cover that much range and a bit more if I'm not mistaken.
It's very old school but a workhorse in the right situation.
The tooling will be a little pricey if still available... old surplus will be the ticket if properly tooled.

Hodge

The reed roll threader previously mentioned will cover that much range and a bit more if I'm not mistaken.
It's very old school but a workhorse in the right situation.
The tooling will be a little pricey if still available... old surplus will be the ticket if properly tooled.

Hodge
I stand corrected. I helped automate a machine for rolling the threads on Toyota door hinge bolts. It was a beast of a machine. Over 30 years ago so it's all a bit hazy, it was a roller die set up for M8. It was really old and apparently the tooling was difficult to obtain even then. I do remember it took a while to set up and there were some idiosyncrasies. Bolt blanks were fed in vertically with the head at the top.

I stand corrected. I helped automate a machine for rolling the threads on Toyota door hinge bolts. It was a beast of a machine. Over 30 years ago so it's all a bit hazy, it was a roller die set up for M8. It was really old and apparently the tooling was difficult to obtain even then. I do remember it took a while to set up and there were some idiosyncrasies. Bolt blanks were fed in vertically with the head at the top.
The Fette attachment, whatever thread you want.
Toss it in the CNC slant-bed and go like crazy.
Blinding fast and perfect threaded parts by the thousands.
I have an example program I'll share.
Mark

Mark
Not exactly whatever thread you want. LH different. M1 to M5 a head, bigger another head. No need for a program its exactly the same as a Coventry die head,

Mark
Mark,
If you wouldn’t mind sharing a program example, that would be great.
I’ve been looking at thread rolling off and on for awhile. Has anyone had experience thread rolling heat treated 17-4 PH? Every time this job comes around we make great parts single pointing them. And every time, I feel, it takes too long to do it.
Like DH said, this is an IMTS education thing, and why I’ve gone every time since 1984. I *know* the tooling is salty, but once figured out on one of our old school LC Okumas with a 3J collet setup, it will be the classic “why didn’t we do this sooner” moments.

Mark,
If you wouldn’t mind sharing a program example, that would be great.
I’ve been looking at thread rolling off and on for awhile. Has anyone had experience thread rolling heat treated 17-4 PH? Every time this job comes around we make great parts single pointing them. And every time, I feel, it takes too long to do it.
Like DH said, this is an IMTS education thing, and why I’ve gone every time since 1984. I *know* the tooling is salty, but once figured out on one of our old school LC Okumas with a 3J collet setup, it will be the classic “why didn’t we do this sooner” moments.
I have two different types of axial thread roller heads and they use different programs. One type uses a trip lever that must be pushed to disengage the rolls, on the other you stop the feed and the head pulls away from the body and disengages a jaw clutch. Both were adapted from turret lathes.

I roll threads on material that is up to 43Rc hardness, kinda hard on rolls and you need more than coolant to get any life.

Ed.

I have two different types of axial thread roller heads and they use different programs. One type uses a trip lever that must be pushed to disengage the rolls, on the other you stop the feed and the head pulls away from the body and disengages a jaw clutch. Both were adapted from turret lathes.

I roll threads on material that is up to 43Rc hardness, kinda hard on rolls and you need more than coolant to get any life.

Ed.
Ahhh, so a dedicated machine running oil.

Ahhh, so a dedicated machine running oil.
No, it is a small CNC lathe that is used mostly for thread rolling but is still capable of all regular operations running coolant. The thread rolling lube is hand applied rather than running oil for all operations.

Ed.

No, it is a small CNC lathe that is used mostly for thread rolling but is still capable of all regular operations running coolant. The thread rolling lube is hand applied rather than running oil for all operations.

Ed.
Got it. I like that idea better!

Mark

The same size/model Fette's come with at least 2 different helix angles.
You're not likely going to have the best luck rolling 5/8-11 with the same head that you rolled 3/8-24 last week.
One of them is likely going to going to produce a lot of fretting.

Fette does market some heads for radial use on CNC turret style lathes, and those would NOT be subject to any helix angle issues, and I have never touched a Fette radial unit, but I have ran many other radial thread roll heads, and even ran one in a lathe for too long. Those are a bad application in a CNC lathe! Maybe the Fette is different, but I wouldn't know why?

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

The same size/model Fette's come with at least 2 different helix angles.
You're not likely going to have the best luck rolling 5/8-11 with the same head that you rolled 3/8-24 last week.
One of them is likely going to going to produce a lot of fretting.

Fette does market some heads for radial use on CNC turret style lathes, and those would NOT be subject to any helix angle issues, and I have never touched a Fette radial unit, but I have ran many other radial thread roll heads, and even ran one in a lathe for too long. Those are a bad application in a CNC lathe! Maybe the Fette is different, but I wouldn't know why?

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!
Well, Ox, I cheat.

I made a spring-loaded floating holder for it.
Kind'a like a T&C tap holder.

Back