What's new
What's new

Sodick AQ35L programming & shipping

claya

Cast Iron
Looking at an AQ35L. Upgrading from a manual Eltee. So this a major jump for us. Silly question: Is programming an AQ35 Sodick via RS-232, floppy, or at the control? Is it possible to edit/store job, electrode/material parameters? We do a lot of difficult materials (tungsten, niobium, high nickel steels etc..) And Flushing is always a challenge on nearly every job.

Can we use the 20mm Eltee tooling with adapters on the Sodick? Are there specific shipping lock fixtures/procedures we need for cross-country freight & rigging? I am worried about damaging the linear motors.

Sodick would have the information you need on shipping.
As far as programming most Sodick machines can be programmed at the machine itself. As far as I know programming at the machine is fairly normal for Sinker EDMs.

Reactions: JZ.
Sodick would have the information you need on shipping.
As far as programming most Sodick machines can be programmed at the machine itself. As far as I know programming at the machine is fairly normal for Sinker EDMs.
Sodick wants $1500 to register the machine and get support. The seller has shipping details in the books. Question: Is there a servo tuning procedure in the book also? Once registered fee is paid, is Sodick more supportive, or just meh... Support I get, but have yet to pay a registration fee transfering a machine ownership. I know nothing about Sodick support, only that they are great machines.

Sodick wants $1500 to register the machine and get support. The seller has shipping details in the books. Question: Is there a servo tuning procedure in the book also? Once registered fee is paid, is Sodick more supportive, or just meh... Support I get, but have yet to pay a registration fee transfering a machine ownership. I know nothing about Sodick support, only that they are great machines.

When we bought our first Sodick, used, we had to pay that support registration. Ground my gears to pay that fee, but once you are registered their tech support is very good.

Sodick has great customer tech support and applications support.
We run two AG600L wire EDMs, probably once a month reach out for applications support or tech support.

Looking at an AQ35L. Upgrading from a manual Eltee. So this a major jump for us. Silly question: Is programming an AQ35 Sodick via RS-232, floppy, or at the control? Is it possible to edit/store job, electrode/material parameters? We do a lot of difficult materials (tungsten, niobium, high nickel steels etc..) And Flushing is always a challenge on nearly every job.

Can we use the 20mm Eltee tooling with adapters on the Sodick? Are there specific shipping lock fixtures/procedures we need for cross-country freight & rigging? I am worried about damaging the linear motors.
There are specific locking fixtures and if they have them and install them correctly, from your machine will be good for transit, sounds like it is a long haul.
That $1500 is well worth it, their services are very good all around.

There are specific locking fixtures and if they have them and install them correctly, from your machine will be good for transit, sounds like it is a long haul.
That $1500 is well worth it, their services are very good all around.
The shipper wants to send an enclosed truck, or smaller box truck for pickup, possibly transfer to a flatbed for long haul, then switch to a box for local delivery. Pre-covid, We have ALWAYS moved machines on the same flatbed door to door, and picked off from above with loaders & cranes. My expert unload guy does not like using a forklift for above 6Klbs loads, unless it comes off a liftgate. (I agree). Is shipping jacked up now, that getting a cross country MI - CA flatbed a lot harder, or costly? My shipping broker said getting a LTL flatbed is MUCH harder now than pre-covid. I do not care much about delivery speed, but also do not want to wait 3 weeks, with it sitting in the rain/snow at a yard somewhere. Last time we did this was 2019. Can a 21ft truck lift-gate handle 9Klbs? Is a local delivery box truck without air-ride a mistake for a high precision sinker?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the lift gate, but I definitely wouldn't allow them transferred it from 3 different trucks if possible, that is a lot of extra handling and I would make sure any truck used has air-ride.
Your getting a precision machine and even though it has brackets to lock it up for shipping I wouldn't put that trust in the truckers for a smooth ride all the way there.

I cannot get the auto-home to start, pressing RET. What could be causing that....

Solved. Multiple causes. Z-axis air-balance was off, X & Z-axis brakes sticky, bad keyboard/stuck keys. Thanks for everyones help.

Last edited:

Back