What's new
What's new

soft jaw rack?

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
Hey guys,

My soft jaws are annoying me constantly getting in the way and whatnot.

Just wondering if anyone had an ingenious method of storing them? I was thinking some sort of peg board might be the go so they are all nicely visible, but also have their own spot to live.

Pictures are always helpful.

Cheers,
Trav

I just tidied up my collection. 35 soft jaw sets and 1 hard jaw set...

:eek: Dont you spray your jaws when youre finished? lol. I use a big BAC SYSTEMS trolley with drawers for all my soft jaws. And yes its BIG cause i have shitloads of them. I also use autobloc force compensating chucks and between the two mazaks both using the same chuck we can swap the jaws between the machines without the need for skimming them for accuracy UNLESS its very critical. For 90% of the work we dont bother.

Open Center Power Chucks, BHD-FC, Centrifugal Force Compensation
thats the chuck that i use. I run jobs with light to moderate clamping with these things and never once had a problem. I wouldnt dream of doing some of the work on a kitagawa chuck using the same chucking pressure.

Do you need it to be really neat and practical or just practical?

My uncle's shop has a really long shelf with all of them laid out nicely next to each other (Practical and neat but takes up waaaay too much space for my liking)
I,and I don't have pics right now, have 3 different setups for jaws. For my small kia lathe I just use the small cupboard on the front of the machine to store them because my hard jaws and 6 sets of soft fit in there nicely. On my big takisawa I made a board with hooks from an old shelf,sprayed it up and welded hooks on, for the smaller jaws and spacer rings but I also had to make a small shelf that doubles as a tiny work bench for the big jaws (some of the special jaws that I have are really big so the hook system would not work). At the old lathe inside the main shop I made a bigger self standing shelf with round bars welded on where the jaws can slide over because the little thing has a crap load of different jaws. Each bar there can hold up to 2 full sets of jaws.

I think this looks like a pegboard kind of job, but very heavy duty. How about laminating two sheets of 3/4" plywood together so you can drill holes at a slight angle upwards for rods you would hang each set on? I'd label the columns and rows with numbers x letters, then build a spreadsheet listing them by size, type etc. and the pin they are on. Location can be rather random and you can find them instantly.

here's what i came up with. it's just sitting there for now, but will be painted and then mounted to the machine.

u3hSV4mE3lvZ_kvDaVklDqjsNo62pVnIjfCqVNEgkqY_-nLTdJJ6-NiSpouLbsH27V8ZOnv-Ybd4dtqT95AjcKo6k5xUqg3W4qhWuw9T1YNstHPMEkKfbtNZQ2LNneXGShHMuTsNG9AmZDRxZ19vBDg4_z1d2K-o2L-ZixbI0Xzr1P_GBd51GYcrwkFAPfDUQE0QpAhDEqiUNWvV90WC4mVGyByHMRo4d5tb3dpz5NceYDJRa-OcAU5cNdPNk6SZ7ZrlP5ev0sf4i8LIHhGT5lrn9nwDCbMfPYAIQKuQ2bbTQM40k9lxOzDnQC-CwpVE-ffbx-4b-VnIjxwD620h7KV2cxPDMby1uu0Upq6UB156HDyJ2BiATbFaW63b5JiMr3HusuL2mlDbeZF_phVsOsXlxMqjQDI0p6ZZG3lBm-4w1i9VAXJIi9KWBBDKE3B49x7ysicmxVoQ9PDcpykapJw3HDL6NcKjdfLKUJkoGNE32DWm8C62BZfCIcyNy3MCl_OkiHQEdGJz3G-dJskpopf7EaTBtZ5TRALb-ih1B646kXzpUlVPddX7cK_beaWYg6AVBj6OtRNzh2A4QgmC3DUEkTaohMiC=w1645-h926-no

Alot to think about :s Just wanted to say I've had my service done With Servicing Stop and they are really good! They picked my car up from mine on time, took my car to a local garage, called me up to confirm anything that needed doing and dropped my car back off to mine, all within the time they said! Quick and easy, would recommend to anyone who has a busy life or just in general!

Alot to think about :s Just wanted to say I've had my service done With Servicing Stop and they are really good! They picked my car up from mine on time, took my car to a local garage, called me up to confirm anything that needed doing and dropped my car back off to mine, all within the time they said! Quick and easy, would recommend to anyone who has a busy life or just in general!

Piss off Noddy!

I have mine in a Vidmar cabinet. Some jaws stand up nice and can see the back end which is marked with size or job info,a few are too tall to stand up. Pull out drawer find the set I want and put them on. Just make sure cabinet is bolted down or at least has several heavy drawers so it doesn't tip when pulling out one.

I dont have tons of them yet. The ones that get used alot have the size info engraved instead of paint pen. The drawers will hold alot as I have one with three Kurt double lock vise beds in when they arent being used. (HDLM6 vises with jaw carriers in different drawer)
20160810_074604_zpsmolbpugz.jpg

Nice job JP Machining , I have about 10 drawers like the photo above , I use a sharpie to write the size on the jaws , sometimes even part #s , before using I take a cell phone photo , when job is complete , I remark jaws with sharpie. Works for me.

Agree - I think this is why vidmars were invented. I have more than this scattered around the shop, on machines and in toolboxes, it's hard to have them all in one place.
20160810_105301.jpg20160810_105249.jpg

Ours are in Vidmars as well. Jaws for an 8" chuck fit in a 3" deep drawer very well. We have each set in its own little divided area to keep them in sets and the drawer divider is marked with what job they are for or the diameter they are bored to. Vidmars are not the most inexpensive solution but its really nice to be able to find tooling and it stays relatively clean. Our shop has a dust issue because we are very close to a major highway (20 YARDS) and we get all the airborne dust and crap from that.

Back