What's new
What's new

Solid Works 06'

Carson

Plastic
Just a beginner, watched a few basic vids.
I extruded a block, then drew a 3 sided pyramid.
The top is on the top plane, the 3 sides are on new planes created from the 4 points of the pyramid.
I want to do an extrude CUT to remove the pyramid from the block.
Nothing I try works (hours).
Is this possible ? If so, can it be briefly explained ?
Thanks,
Carson

Attachments

• 20230210_195501.jpg
    20230210_195501.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 8
Too easy.

Forget the internal planes and lines. Just cut-extrude the triangle sketched on the top face with draft.
Play around with the draft angle till the apex of the pyramid is at the depth you want, or calculate the draft angle required with basic trigonometry or a temporary sketch.

Delete the top face of the solid, make planar surfaces from the three faces of the pyramid, make a planar surface from the top minus the triangle, knit everything back together

or

Lofted cut

or

Mold---> cavity

or

Features ---> intersect

What have you tried?

Too easy.

Forget the internal planes and lines. Just cut-extrude the triangle sketched on the top face with draft.
Play around with the draft angle till the apex of the pyramid is at the depth you want, or calculate the draft angle required with basic trigonometry or a temporary sketch.
Sounds easy enough, will try tomorrow, THANKS !
Delete the top face of the solid, make planar surfaces from the three faces of the pyramid, make a planar surface from the top minus the triangle, knit everything back together

or

Lofted cut

or

Mold---> cavity

or

Features ---> intersect

What have you tried?
Lofted cut, I might understand that. Will try tomorrow.
The others .... I'll need to study.

Thanks

The easiest is probably extruded cut with draft as Slingstay mentioned, assuming you can have the same draft on all side of your pyramid. If you need different draft on the sides, you can create the pyramid with extrude then subtract it from the main body using Insert-Features-Combine. Don't let the name fool you, Combine has Add, Subract or Common functions. This is assuming SW 06 is calling it all the same names. I use SW 2017 at my main job, so I am not on a current version either, lol. I also use SW 2022 as well as NX 2212 with my side gigs.

The draft worked perfectly, thanks.
Draft angles are equal, btw.
I'll look into the Insert-Features-Combine routine and see what I can do with that.
Powerful stuff !
Thanks ALL !

Back