What's new
What's new

SolidWorks and win7 64 bit issues

g-coder05

Titanium
I just bought a new dell studio 1555 and it has windows 7 64 bit pre installed. My software is Solid Works 08 Office pro. When I tried to install it "after an hour of loading" I get a popup saying it needs 32 bit then closes the install. Is there a way to make win7 run in 32 bit compatibility mode? Or does anybody have a way to force it to run on 64 bit? This is agrevating since my Alibre Expert runs fine but I prefer solid works.

I just bought a new dell studio 1555 and it has windows 7 64 bit pre installed. My software is Solid Works 08 Office pro. When I tried to install it "after an hour of loading" I get a popup saying it needs 32 bit then closes the install. Is there a way to make win7 run in 32 bit compatibility mode? Or does anybody have a way to force it to run on 64 bit? This is agrevating since my Alibre Expert runs fine but I prefer solid works.

Is there not a 64bit version of solidworks '08? I went from '07 to 2010, and there was a 32bit disc and 64bit disc.
If all else fails you can run Windows 7 in XP mode.

XP mode? I would give my 1/2-13 left nut to know how to run it that way :willy_nilly:. When I google that I get stuff like "why would you want to run in an earlier version?" Realy starting to push my buttons :angry:.

WOW, Screwed by Micronazi again!:angry: When I went to download the xp module it told me I have to buy the upgrade to expert before I can get it.:crazy: Its cheaper for me to put xp on my new computer than to buy the upgrade. Thanks for the help. Its too bad Featurecam and Solidworks dont work on unix. I'd dump microscum in a heart beat.

Anyway. Thanks for your help.:cheers:

Not sure if this will work, but you should try right clicking setup.exe on the SW disc, and set it to run in XP compatibility mode, and run as Administrator. Sometimes that fixes these issues, tho you might have to buy a new copy of one or the other - XP or SW.

Compatibility Mode and XP Mode are not the same thing IIRC.

Compatibility Mode is where Windows kinda kills off some of the new features in order to make a program work. XP Mode is a virtual desktop where you literally run XP on top of Windows 7 or Vista. Everyone should have Compatibility Mode but only Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 have XP Mode.

WOW, Screwed by Micronazi again!:angry: When I went to download the xp module it told me I have to buy the upgrade to expert before I can get it.:crazy: Its cheaper for me to put xp on my new computer than to buy the upgrade. Thanks for the help. Its too bad Featurecam and Solidworks dont work on unix. I'd dump microscum in a heart beat.

Anyway. Thanks for your help.:cheers:

How were you screwed my Microsoft? You bought a PC with 64 bit Windows and your 32 bit program won't run on it (a known potential issue with 64 bit Windows) so it's their fault? Sounds like Dassault screwed you by not making their 32 bit software compatible with a 64 bit OS.

BTW some research suggests that you can get XP Mode to run on Home Edition.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...ode-in-windows-7-home-premium-and-home-basic/
I can't test myself but it seems legit enough.
If you can't download the updates from ms for whatever reason, PM me and you can FTP them from my server.

Joe

How were you screwed my Microsoft? You bought a PC with 64 bit Windows and your 32 bit program won't run on it (a known potential issue with 64 bit Windows) so it's their fault? Sounds like Dassault screwed you by not making their 32 bit software compatible with a 64 bit OS.

Actualy, I got screwed all the way around. First, Dell doesnt sell anything still running XP, Some of the hardware that I liked on the new 1555 laptop requires 64 bit like the Blueray player, the SDMI 1080p Output, ect. Dassault wants another price for the 64 bit version. and on top of that I probably have 2 days of installing software before I found out SW doesnt work. Featurecam 08-09 and 2010, Alibre, Surfcam, Machinist calculator, Machinist toolbox, Open office, and a few more. Then setting them all up the way I like. Now. I have to delete all of it so I can return the computer. As much as I like dells support I guess im gonna go with a HP.

ah the joy of these computers. My friend made the mistake of buying a refurb 32 bit laptop for field work. When he got it he was disappointed to see windows 7 on it. The whole reason for getting the refurbished machine was to get away from windows 7. His story sound similar to yours, but he has since loaded XP and loving it.

Travis

BTW some research suggests that you can get XP Mode to run on Home Edition.
Workaround to Install Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 Home Premium and Home Basic My Digital Life
I can't test myself but it seems legit enough.
If you can't download the updates from ms for whatever reason, PM me and you can FTP them from my server.

Joe

no SolidWorks didn't screw him either!!!!!!!!!!!!! SW 2008 has both 32 and 64 bit but windows 7 wasn't even a product yet, Win XP 64 was the standard and that worked for crap, so Win 7 64 doesn't like old 32 bit programs, were XP 64 didn't care. most places buy new but install or dual boot there systems to be able to use all there programs.

The cheapest solution is probably to chuck the new computer (sell on craigslist or equiv for a few $) and buy a new one which includes an XP downgrade option. Why waste time fiddling with Win7 when XP will do its usual kinda-sorta OK job without extra guesswork...

Greg

I run 64 bit SolidWorks fine on my 64bit Windows 7 Dell M4400

I also run a host of 32 bit programs on a virtual XP machine

In fact, the only way some of our engineers can survive with all the products that they must support in the field is to create multiple virtual machines.

You can use the Microsoft virtual machine option or you can use a third party virtual machine manager like VMWare . . .

I made an Image of my old XP machine and copied the image to a virtual machine directory on my new laptop - and I used VMWare player to run the old XP machine on my new laptop - it works pretty well.

VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC

I don't have an issue with SW, but I'm running a 64 bit install on a 64 bit machine.

However, Surfcam is only a 32 bit install, and it installs and runs fine on the 64 bit machine ... which is Windows 7 'Professional'. This has the 32 bit extension included. May or may not run in the Home Edition. I haven't tried it on my laptop to see.

You can upgrade from Home to Pro on the Microsoft site if this turns out to be a no-go.

I'm running SW2009 32bit which according to my VAR isn't supported under system 7. So a couple of weeks ago when my workshop PC died I didnt want to get a computer running system 7 and go retro to XP etc etc. I ended up finding a good, used Dell 390 with a X6800 processor, 4GB RAM and a 3450 graphics card for slightly under €300. Computer looks like new and came from a leasing contract. My computer guy set it up with XP pro and SW2009 runs like a top.

I'm hoping SW will be ported to run on the Mac OS or a Unix flavor in the next year or 2 and that would be enough to get me to actually BUY AN UPGRADE! As well as a new Mac or Workstation.

In the meantime the used Dell workstation was a fantastic value for the money.

Back