What's new
What's new

Solidworks CAM 3D Stock

Nmbmxer

Stainless
I’ve got a part that I’m going rough with a bandsaw then 3D profile in a 3 axis mill, it ends up as a triangle with a top surface sloping. I’m using Solidworks CAM and have a part file defined as my stock that represents the material after saw cutting. When I rough the part using an area clearance — z level method the tool stays inside the stock containment area as defined in XY but in Z it roughs out all the material in the silhouette, air cutting all the material I cut off with the saw. How can I get it to only rest machine what’s in the stock file? I’ve had the same issues 3D roughing a part that started as a tube. It was a one off so I just let it cut air.

I’ll attach a screen shot shortly.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can you share the file? I don't ever use Z level, but I have a CAMWorks package with 3 Axis Volumill I would use for this, but I have some features you might not have in the SolidWorksCAM version.

Talked to the sales guy and I need CAMWORKS to do anything more than basic stuff in 3d with the package we have. Best I could do is a couple of levels of roughing with different containment areas. Not ideal but it's a lot less cutting air.

Attachments

• 2022-10-05 14_34_04-SOLIDWORKS 2021 SP5.1.png
    2022-10-05 14_34_04-SOLIDWORKS 2021 SP5.1.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
Talked to the sales guy and I need CAMWORKS to do anything more than basic stuff in 3d with the package we have. Best I could do is a couple of levels of roughing with different containment areas. Not ideal but it's a lot less cutting air.
I wasn't 100% sure how limited you were with SolidWorksCAM. With the CAMWorks package I have an Area Clearance Operation with 3 axis Volumill and it recognizes the stock and doesn't cut air.

Back