What's new
What's new

Solidworks prices more than doubling?

since I bought my license the only 'update' I have received to the software is the removal of the online license sharing system which I used heavily. I now have to manually de-activate my software every time I want to change computers.
That change did my head in, now if you forget to deactivate prior to going home you can't work.
Have you come up on the fee for another tranche of activate/deactivate yet? Think you get 500 before it stops working and you have to pay to get more.

That change did my head in, now if you forget to deactivate prior to going home you can't work.
Have you come up on the fee for another tranche of activate/deactivate yet? Think you get 500 before it stops working and you have to pay to get more.
I have heard about that issue, although I've never seen anything from Solidworks themselves confirming it. Have you had to pay the fee? It's lucky to be once a week for me to deactivate at the moment so I think my seat will be well out of date by the time I get to 500 swaps. In saying that central innovation has been somewhat helpful in the past with that sort of stuff even when off sub.

I have heard about that issue, although I've never seen anything from Solidworks themselves confirming it. Have you had to pay the fee? It's lucky to be once a week for me to deactivate at the moment so I think my seat will be well out of date by the time I get to 500 swaps. In saying that central innovation has been somewhat helpful in the past with that sort of stuff even when off sub.
I asked CI about it when they first changed it, They pretty much said we'd cross that bridge when we came to it. I used to have a laptop on the shop floor which I would use when down there, probably 5-6 times a day, now I have to go back up to the office instead, too much hassle to deactivate/reactivate that often.

I asked CI about it when they first changed it, They pretty much said we'd cross that bridge when we came to it. I used to have a laptop on the shop floor which I would use when down there, probably 5-6 times a day, now I have to go back up to the office instead, too much hassle to deactivate/reactivate that often.
Really pissed me off when they got rid of that. I have a computer in my shop, and one in the house, and one at the family business I use when I am their working on on things there. Now I just do everything on the shop computer and bring my PC Tower with me when travelling to the family business. I am guessing this is part of ther cloud push, I get 500000000000 emails a month on.

I just got me renewal notice for solidworks from Hawkridge, I get a whooping %7 savings if I pay them the over $7k Canadian to renew Solidworks maintenance for 3 years up front. :nutter: Camworks renewal is coming in the next couple of months as well...

I haven't updated to the newest versions yet, and not really sure I am going to. Stuff is slowing down up here and no one sends me solidworks files to work on, I create my own... Not really sure what i gain these days having the newest version or maintenance clicking of updates. Programs do what i need already.

When they got rid of Online Licensing... I Refused renewal. Was planning to add a second seat for the new guy at the same time so it cost them 2x and the ridiculous mainintance.. Hellow Fusion360.

Fusion does a great job of floating licensing. I can leave a file open on a machine at my shop and head home. Sit down in front of my laptop at home and open the same file. 360 asks if I want to terminate the shop machine or not. I say yes, it make the shop machine hibernate and opens the latest saved version of the file on my laptop. If you have more seats, and have more than one machine open, it asks which machine to hibernate. It handles differing versions of the same file name well. I also like how it does backup files and saved versions. Why can't all Cad and Cam do that?

CAD/CAM software is certainly a mature market, and I believe subscription-only is going to be the way in the future. It helps guarantee the software company a steady income stream, versus the annual dance to get customers to renew maintenance agreements and to pay-out for new versions.

The government, the military, and their ITAR requirements will just have to adjust to reality. Either that or let the big boys like NX have all the business, and at a huge price they will have it....goodbye small suppliers to aerospace and military.

And in reality, your data is safer and more protected in the cloud than it ever could be on a company's own computers. Computers fail, software crashes, people leave, viruses, firewalls, blackouts, brownouts, fire, floods. Companies spend inordinate amounts on internal IT and software maintenance.

The cloud services from the big boys like Amazon and Microsoft are some of the most reliable and redundant systems on the planet. Better off subbing it to the experts and concentrating on what a company does best.

ToolCat

Last edited:
CAD/CAM software is certainly a mature market, and I believe subscription-only is going to be the way in the future. It helps guarantee the software company a steady income stream, versus the annual dance to get customers to renew maintenance agreements and to pay-out for new versions.

The government, the military, and their ITAR requirements will just have to adjust to reality. Either that or let the big boys like NX have all the business, and at a huge price they will have it....goodbye small suppliers to aerospace and military.

And in reality, your data is safer and more protected in the cloud than it ever could be on a company's own computers. Computers fail, software crashes, people leave, viruses, firewalls, blackouts, brownouts, fire, floods. Companies spend inordinate amounts on internal IT and software maintenance.

The cloud services from the big boys like Amazon and Microsoft are some of the most reliable and redundant systems on the planet. Better off subbing it to the experts and concentrating on what a company does best.

ToolCat
I’m not buying the cloud security BS! It’s somewhat common that I get a letter from a bank or some other big company that has my data telling me how their systems have been compromised.

Fusion does a great job of floating licensing. I can leave a file open on a machine at my shop and head home. Sit down in front of my laptop at home and open the same file. 360 asks if I want to terminate the shop machine or not. I say yes, it make the shop machine hibernate and opens the latest saved version of the file on my laptop. If you have more seats, and have more than one machine open, it asks which machine to hibernate. It handles differing versions of the same file name well. I also like how it does backup files and saved versions. Why can't all Cad and Cam do that?
That was what solidworks was like, until they killed the function for a better customer experience.

And in reality, your data is safer and more protected in the cloud than it ever could be on a company's own computers.
Big data breaches are a common occurrence these days. Your statement may be true if you're GE or Lockheed Martin, but certainly not true for a small or even medium sized business. I often use the analogy: where is your money safer: at the nations largest bank inside the vault or hidden in the wall where anyone can grab it but only you know it's even there? It actually works out better for people who manage their own data if everyone else puts their data in the cloud. The more common it is, the less likely hackers would even bother looking elsewhere.

The fact is nobody cares about my cad data anyway. I’m going to dig my heals in as much as possible to avoid a subscription service. There’s no value being added to the industry by this new business model. It’s all about keeping a bloated companies afloat.

We all know an agency is watching or at least recording every single thing on the internet… I am not doing anything wrong but why would I want my data, work, 3d models and everything else including when my dogs birthday is on the internet?

Just like everywhere my phone goes, they all know where I am at. Do they need to know I am stopping at the coffee shop during my errand running or that I spent my $ at the local small hardware store or homedepot.

We have fallen far down the slippery slope of being in the 1984 novel

We all know an agency is watching or at least recording every single thing on the internet… I am not doing anything wrong but why would I want my data, work, 3d models and everything else including when my dogs birthday is on the internet?

Just like everywhere my phone goes, they all know where I am at. Do they need to know I am stopping at the coffee shop during my errand running or that I spent my $ at the local small hardware store or homedepot.

We have fallen far down the slippery slope of being in the 1984 novel
There are alot of benefits to storing all of your work/data/models in the cloud. You don't have to worry about it being backed up, you don't have to manage servers or hard drives or whatever. You can access it from wherever you want. There are alot of costs too, including a loss of privacy. For me, the costs are pretty minor, while the benefits are huge. But it all depends on what you are working on and how you are working.

Stealing your data is so last decade. The current hacker model is keeping you from using your own data, holding it hostage until you pay to get it back. Biggest thing on FB marketplace is acquiring your cellphone number so they can hack control of your google/google voice account then force you to pay in crypto to get it back. That's even a mature process now, who knows what has evolved since then. I haven't heard of how that would work with cloud CAD data, but do you trust those people to keep you safe?

Just remote into the computer upstairs from the laptop on the floor, no need to run anywhere! I do this from home to my desktop at work work awesome, unsless internet issues, but far and few between. JMO

Yea working with Honeywell and having their "security servers" go down on the regular I don't believe Amazon and Google have my best security interests at heart either. Whether my CAD data is useful to someone else or not. Let alone the times where I've used Fusion on a huge file or part, now you're waiting on a server for a speedy open and it has drug out more than once.

Yea working with Honeywell and having their "security servers" go down on the regular I don't believe Amazon and Google have my best security interests at heart either. Whether my CAD data is useful to someone else or not. Let alone the times where I've used Fusion on a huge file or part, now you're waiting on a server for a speedy open and it has drug out more than once.
The creaform license servers (goes by a bunch of different names) for our 3d scanner go down sometimes, and of course it's always on friday or a weekend where we are trying to hammer out a rush project.

Back