What's new
What's new

Solidworks prices more than doubling?

I just got me renewal notice for solidworks from Hawkridge, I get a whooping %7 savings if I pay them the over $7k Canadian to renew Solidworks maintenance for 3 years up front. :nutter: Camworks renewal is coming in the next couple of months as well...
Negotiate, tell them what you are willing to pay for 3 years, what you feel comfortable with, within reason of course.

I did a 3 year with my last SW/CW renewal with HRS.

I would have done a 5 year but they wouldn’t come down enough to where it made sense to jump from 3 to 5 but from 1 to 3 made a lot sense.

Stealing your data is so last decade. The current hacker model is keeping you from using your own data, holding it hostage until you pay to get it back.
So to ensure you don't get hacked and have to pay hackers to get access to your data, you need to subscribe to a cloud hosting service continuously, forever, to have access to your data. It really makes you wonder who these hackers are and who they work for...

You have to pay continuously to store your data regardless of if its on the cloud or local. If its local you've gotta continually upgrade your hardware, do your own backups (you do do off site backups right?), maintain your network, manage your security, both cyber and physical, and deal with hardware failures. That is a significant cost (unless you're just living on hopes and dreams that you're 15 year old PC with all your critical models on it won't die). Sometimes its better to pay people who know what they are doing to do something.

Could have fooled me! I get 796 emails from Solidworks every day all because I had to register to download the latest E-Drawings viewer a while back.
Even though I've marked it as spam many times it still comes to my inbox.
Solidworks and Haas both send me at least 3-5 emails per day.
It's annoying as hell.
its hard to find anything more annoying than spam emails... i'm super OCD about keeping my inbox clean and organized.

Its not fusions model, others were before it , even Onshape was before I think. but yeah, all large software's similar to these will be doing cloud+sub, except in manufacturing areas where you cant.
In other similar software's, 3D animation, photo editing, Compositing, Video Editing...... have been doing it for a long time, subscription base is a no brainier definitely going to happen.
It doesn't detract from the divided cost though, Fusion is a cheaper clunkier software for hobbyists, that's what its for.

edit: most larger software's like CAD/CAM usually keep standard licensing and just add the option of subscription. I don't know that you will get sub only on expensive software's, I haven't seen it else where either.
1700051209282.png

its hard to find anything more annoying than spam emails... i'm super OCD about keeping my inbox clean and organized.
How do you stop them? I manage 3 accounts, receive them all on several PCs. I get well over 100 emails every day, maybe 5 to 10 are worth looking at. I've given up trying to corral them and just scan them by sender looking for high value emails. Many are from unique spoof addresses, antispam efforts don't stop those.

I'll add to this post as a reference to others in research and support, ie do some research on Autodesk before you decide to give them your money.
If you don't care then go ahead and buy their software's.
They buy up and shut down competition to obtain a monopoly, and similar big tech crap, I personally will never buy Autodesk software.
I have watched them for many many years buy up and shut down, incorporate tech, and get rid of the original, ....

2 cents.

How do you stop them? I manage 3 accounts, receive them all on several PCs. I get well over 100 emails every day, maybe 5 to 10 are worth looking at. I've given up trying to corral them and just scan them by sender looking for high value emails. Many are from unique spoof addresses, antispam efforts don't stop those.
i havent been able to figure out how to stop all of them, still get a few every day and it drives me nuts :(

i havent been able to figure out how to stop all of them, still get a few every day and it drives me nuts :(
The latest campaigns for the past year or so seem to be attempts to phish the log in details for my email accounts. I assume that's to use them to send more phishing emails from my account, or maybe figure out banking logins, don't know why else. They always come from bogus addresses, don't know how to stop those.

You have to pay continuously to store your data regardless of if its on the cloud or local. If its local you've gotta continually upgrade your hardware, do your own backups (you do do off site backups right?), maintain your network, manage your security, both cyber and physical, and deal with hardware failures. That is a significant cost (unless you're just living on hopes and dreams that you're 15 year old PC with all your critical models on it won't die). Sometimes its better to pay people who know what they are doing to do something.
I'll respectfully disagree. In my experience, the price to do so is ridiculously less *and* it is less hassle, while retaining more control over one's own/one's customer's data. We air gap the machine and customer files/devices are scanned. We never lose access, and data (no matter whose) never gets threatened. As has been pointed out by others, one doesn't *need* the latest release of just about anything to competently work. So, costs are kept at minimum. (even with having them backed up on drives) <physical digital storage space is also relatively cheap these days> Personally, I feel the loss of access and privacy is *MUCH* much more expensive. YMMV

Negotiate, tell them what you are willing to pay for 3 years, what you feel comfortable with, within reason of course.

I did a 3 year with my last SW/CW renewal with HRS.

I would have done a 5 year but they wouldn’t come down enough to where it made sense to jump from 3 to 5 but from 1 to 3 made a lot sense.
I have already emailed and stated they need to up the value of what I receive for my $
I'll respectfully disagree. In my experience, the price to do so is ridiculously less *and* it is less hassle, while retaining more control over one's own/one's customer's data. We air gap the machine and customer files/devices are scanned. We never lose access, and data (no matter whose) never gets threatened. As has been pointed out by others, one doesn't *need* the latest release of just about anything to competently work. So, costs are kept at minimum. (even with having them backed up on drives) <physical digital storage space is also relatively cheap these days> Personally, I feel the loss of access and privacy is *MUCH* much more expensive. YMMV

Buying terabyte or bigger SSD drives for less then $100 and them working for years is definitely cheaper then subscription based and I know who has access or has accessed it.

My one PC which I run Mastercam X2 on because its plain and simple for one of my repeat family of products ( They are typically one off custom every time in a certain way) just works better. That computer has been through a shop fire, with the hard drive moved into a different box and has been going without issue with no anti virus software, no updates and running I think windows Xp for 6 years now. And yes we have a mastercam license, HASP and do have a PC with the newest version of their mastercam and their art program for our wood router ( I personally don't play with that software very often).

I moved to Solidworks and Camworks years ago with the hope to move that product to the new software and having it auto update to the changes... it just didn't work. I am thinking I might just retire this workstation to offline work as well...Just the issue with the software needing to phone home all the time.

I couldn't handle that! My wife has something like 35k unread emails on her phone, we have an employee that is close to 100k.

I get maybe 1 spam email per day across 4 email accounts. I immediately unsubscribe to whatever it is if possible. I used to get more years ago, it probably took a good couple months to unsubscribe to everything. Now if I go into a store or whatever and they ask for my email, I decline, I do not care to get 10% off, the money I saved is not worth the annoying emails!

I couldn't handle that! My wife has something like 35k unread emails on her phone, we have an employee that is close to 100k.
I've got 93K, 63K and 23K. 90% are useless, but it's less time wasted than trying to stop them. I archive all of it incase I ever need to find an old message. And I still get abundant spam snailmail too.

I got 3 bogus Purchase orders from Dubai, 4 bogus "your email account is about to be locked", and 2 bogus payment notifications so far today. And a bogus notification that my nonexistent.Amazon order is waiting on payment.

Last year I paid for a 1 year subscription of solidworks standard and simulation for $2494. I just got quoted around $6268 to renew it, for just one year.

I can't think of any other question than WTF? It's too late to buy a perpetual license. I didn't get a quote on the exact configuration but it seems like $20k+ for the same thing.
I didn't go back and read through the 4 pages on this thread, unless we're looking at something completely different but I think you may be misreading your quote, I'd reach out to your reseller. I just had quote done and it is showing SolidWorks Standard Standalone at $4195 and the Essential Success Plan - Initial - 1 year at $1878.04

In the last 10 years I have received letters from 2 banks, an insurance company, the united states government, and a random company I have never heard of, that my information was stolen in a data breach. "Breach" is a misnomer as 3 of the instances my information was unsecured. I was never able to find out what information, from what department, was stolen from the US Government, I'm not allowed to know.

The random company cannot even explain to me why they had my information, other than that a customer of theirs, was storing my information on their servers.

Due to expense I am forced to use Fusion, and I hate it. The cloud is terrible. I can rarely access my own information sitting at home. Their systems are constantly glitching, "experiencing an unplanned outage", or for whatever unexplainable reason.

When the internet is down, which it often is, I have zero access. Fusion continually tells me that I have full access when the internet is down, but they also refuse to accept reality staring them in the face.

From my short life experience working in IT on major systems, dealing with my identity being stolen numerous times due to the fault of major systems and corporations, I would 100 percent rather keep my information physically under my control. Hard drives have failed far less than trillion dollar corporations security. My house has burnt down less times than Bank's security have failed. And my house has flooded less than the US Government losing my info. Maybe that is dumb luck.

Now I have had to start asking companies if they use third party systems, cloud systems, with my information. I found out after setting up my website that no-one knows who does what anymore. The company that sells you the website uses a company that sells websites, who sells websites made by a company that uses a company to do the things a website needs. By the 5th or 6th layer, all of who have access to your information, it gets damn right muddy to know who is responsible for your stolen info.

In the last 10 years I have received letters from 2 banks, an insurance company, the united states government, and a random company I have never heard of, that my information was stolen in a data breach. "Breach" is a misnomer as 3 of the instances my information was unsecured. I was never able to find out what information, from what department, was stolen from the US Government, I'm not allowed to know.

The random company cannot even explain to me why they had my information, other than that a customer of theirs, was storing my information on their servers.

Due to expense I am forced to use Fusion, and I hate it. The cloud is terrible. I can rarely access my own information sitting at home. Their systems are constantly glitching, "experiencing an unplanned outage", or for whatever unexplainable reason.

When the internet is down, which it often is, I have zero access. Fusion continually tells me that I have full access when the internet is down, but they also refuse to accept reality staring them in the face.

From my short life experience working in IT on major systems, dealing with my identity being stolen numerous times due to the fault of major systems and corporations, I would 100 percent rather keep my information physically under my control. Hard drives have failed far less than trillion dollar corporations security. My house has burnt down less times than Bank's security have failed. And my house has flooded less than the US Government losing my info. Maybe that is dumb luck.

Now I have had to start asking companies if they use third party systems, cloud systems, with my information. I found out after setting up my website that no-one knows who does what anymore. The company that sells you the website uses a company that sells websites, who sells websites made by a company that uses a company to do the things a website needs. By the 5th or 6th layer, all of who have access to your information, it gets damn right muddy to know who is responsible for your stolen info.
Nothing is safe out there anymore, and no one follows proper procedures to protect peoples identities.

A couple years ago removed my last name from FB and hid everything on my profile, you can't see anything, somehow in the last few months I've been receiving mail to my FB "name". It's being shared somehow......

About 4 years ago I learned there is someone living in another state that has my name, our middle names are different but initial is the same, same birthdate, and our mothers name is the same as well. I frequently get his debt collection, for a while I would call the place, let them know the mix up, they would ask, name, birthdate, go through the process, yup I know it all, but we are not the same people and on numerous occasions the person on the phone would spit out the FULL social security number and ask, that's not your social? NOPE and you shouldn't be sharing that information so freely off some basic identifiers.

I had a hospital do the same thing, called me about his bill, I explained everything and the lady shared the FULL social and I responded with, "did you seriously just do that" and she tried to say I was trying to steal his identity 😂 - I said lady you called me and I explained you had the wrong person and verified MY name and DOB and you asked if that was my social, everything you just did was wrong! She hung up on me...

I didn't go back and read through the 4 pages on this thread, unless we're looking at something completely different but I think you may be misreading your quote, I'd reach out to your reseller. I just had quote done and it is showing SolidWorks Standard Standalone at $4195 and the Essential Success Plan - Initial - 1 year at $1878.04
Yeah I resigned up last year, cause I had an old license, it wasn't double, I think misreading something also.

I just got my renewal bill. For 1 year-
SW professional- $1884
SW cam pro-$600

I think that’s up a few hundred from last year. They also included a 3 yr renewal option but I can’t see an advantage to that.

I just got my renewal bill. For 1 year-
SW professional- $1884
SW cam pro-$600

I think that’s up a few hundred from last year. They also included a 3 yr renewal option but I can’t see an advantage to that.
Negotiate, if you know you are going to have SolidWorks for years to come and can save, why not, I saved almost $3500 over 3 years with my SolidWorks/CAMWorks package.

Back