What's new
What's new

Source for 14" Buffs with a 1-1/2" Arbor Hole?

johfoster

Cast Iron
I have a 5hp Baldor Buffer that I am trying to source buffing wheels for, and after getting around to it have realized it has 1-1/2" arbors instead of the standard 1-1/4". Does anyone know of an off the shelf source for the airway style buffs with a 1-1/2" arbor hole? (I did find a company that said they will make them for me, and have done that for other customers they said)

I am also thinking of buying some standard 14" buffs and bringing the arbor hole size up the extra .25" to fit my machine, but not sure how I feel about that option yet. Not sure how balanced steel centered buffs are to begin with, and once you start using them they would sort of self balance I suppose. No good way to hold the buffs for centering up the hole that I can think of, but the set of flanges will be easy to modify.

Anyone else run into this problem ever? I think this motor was originally setup as the head of a big dual belt sander, but otherwise looks just like any other buffer motor so I didn't give it any thought when I picked it up used.

Thanks.

Jeez. 5HP on a buffer sounds like a death wish. I hope it's not for hand held parts...
A buff spinning at 1800rpm is a buff spinning at 1800rpm? Probably more likely to grab and throw a part out your hands if under powered and bogged down under pressure. It is a bit scary standing at it I will agree, but not much more that a 1.5hp. (which would be plenty to throw a part like a rocket out of your hands) Doesn't seem too crazy to me though, just use caution like with everything in the shop. Iirc the polishing shop I have used in town has bigger looking than this one running 20" buffs. (old school looking thing, arbor up top belt driven by the motor)

And even faster yet than a 6" wheel

A 14" at 1800 will run about 6500 sfm, I should be in a good range iirc for polishing the stainless parts I am setting this up for. Maybe a bit fast for the final mirror buff?

I've heard the SS trim polishers swear by 3600RPM on an 8" wheel but I never liked it. I much preferred 1800RPM for better control and less chance of flinging

That would be an easy solution to the opposite of my problem. I have a shaft that is already 1-1/2", and need to fit what is commonly sold for a 1-1/4" shaft.
Ah, so you need MC Escher to draw the engineering sketch of your part, with a 1-1/2 id and a 1-1/4 od. Sorry.

Back