What's new
What's new

Source for 14" OD Aluminum tube?

gargamel

Aluminum
Anybody know of a source for 14" OD aluminum tube? OnlineMetals lists a 14"OD x 0.5" wall x 13" ID 6061 tube which is pretty much exactly what i want. But... (sad trombone sound) it turns out to be an inactive part # and they don't actually have it. I would consider other options than 6061 as long as I can get a decent hardcoat anodize on it. I'll also consider a thicker wall and I can thin it back if necessary.
I only need a small length, less than 6" will suffice.
The other option is to cut what I need out of soild plate but the material cost is pretty high so if I can find ready made tube it should be much cheaper.

Thanks,
Mike

Don’t think there are many extruders working up to that size, that’s a big die!
Cast tube, or rolled and welded seems like the menu, cast would be short I guess, rolled long as the pyramid,
Mark

Thanks Mark. This just a single part so I'm not sure the extra work of roll & weld is worth it compared to the material cost for a section of 14" round bar. I guess I'll get to keep the ~12" drop out of the middle so most of the material is saved for another day.

Spin casting can do this and it's pretty economical but 6", heck. That's not enough to do, I don't think. Maybe at the price of aluminum these days but seems unlikely. You're on the wrong side of the country for references but there was a place in the east bay that was good.

Keep it in mind in case you ever need a little more tho, we used to get a few 1' long pieces of bronze done at a time and it was worth it, saved a bunch of money over other methods and the castings are tits, no porosity at all.

I've got a 18 inch long rem of 13" ID 15" OD from ancient times (15 years ago).
I could cut and ship within a couple of working days if you are interested.
801 374 2745
Chris

Alaska Copper and Brass when I needed 12"idx13" od 5086 for sonar tubes.
They are in Seattle and Portland. Thats a long way from the old country.

Thanks for the offers. I've decided to just get the 14" OD x 3" thick round from McMaster and trepan the center out of it. Although the material is sort-of expensive, it is not expensive compared to the value of getting this project finished.
Thanks again for the help everyone.

Back