What's new
What's new

Source for 416 Square Stock (other than McMaster)

TheBigLebowski

Aluminum
Does anyone know of a supplier that carries 416ss annealed square stock, either 1 1/4" oversized or 1 3/8"? My go to suppliers don't have anything of the sort.

I see McMaster-Carr carries some but the price seems pretty high even by their standards.

These parts were previously being made from mild steel. I have done them this way several times. They have 8 4-40 tapped holes in them, I was also ganging them up on a surface grinder to finish the height (not critical) and get a surface finish, this would make 416 preferable to 303 as its magnetic and easier to machine.

In case you do not know 416 heat treated to 26 to 36RC machines easier and finishes nicer than annealed. Still may be hard to find in square. Climb milling finish will be about the same as ground finish.

In case you do not know 416 heat treated to 26 to 36RC machines easier and finishes nicer than annealed. Still may be hard to find in square. Climb milling finish will be about the same as ground finish.

Good info. I assumed annealed material would be easier to form tap (I have had problems with them breaking with material in the 34-36rc range)

A slightly off track comment. As a general rule 32RC is the max for form tapping per Balax. I form tap M2.5 in 15-5 ss, H1025, 32RC successfully.

26 to 32RC is a lot common but I can not remember if I have form tapped it. The 32-36 was special from Carpenter not hardly stocked now and mill runs for me are out of the question anymore.

TheBigLebowski: what length do you need? I have a bunch of 416SS that I am not using.

Approximately 6Ft. The problem is that it will be a repeat job so I have to be able to get the material again in the future. I am probably going to have to go with 303.

Back