What's new
What's new

Source for paint and color.

mastuart

Aluminum
Hi just tore my Dake 25h press down. It has been leaking and very dirty. Its time to a good clean up and some paint. I got a rebuild kit from Dake. Hydraulic unit is all cleaned up and ready to go back together. Dake said press was new in 1970. Press is a light green metallic. Lots of older equipment and tool boxes was painted this color or real similar. There was also a light blue metallic paint that was also used on the same type of stuff. Anyone know that the name of this paint is and where I could buy some. This color is not a hammertone paint. At one time you could get this color and the light blue in the Hammerite colors. I cant even find this stuff now days. Thanks

Attachments

• 100_1282.JPG
    100_1282.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 13
When I started working in 1963, I was told that the metallic green paint on the engineering equipment that had been built or painted in-house was called Brantingham Green. That color was everywhere. The name's origin is hinted at in this 1941 picture. I think Mr. Brantingham had been moved up to the Chicago headquarters of IHC by the time I hired in. That color would certainly be vintage.
1670474682956.png

Automotive paint is great if you have a spray gun or even an airbrush for small machines. Pick a new car at a dealer with a color you like and tell the make and color name to a paint shop and they will mix it to order.

Larry

Hi just tore my Dake 25h press down. It has been leaking and very dirty. Its time to a good clean up and some paint. I got a rebuild kit from Dake. Hydraulic unit is all cleaned up and ready to go back together. Dake said press was new in 1970. Press is a light green metallic. Lots of older equipment and tool boxes was painted this color or real similar. There was also a light blue metallic paint that was also used on the same type of stuff. Anyone know that the name of this paint is and where I could buy some. This color is not a hammertone paint. At one time you could get this color and the light blue in the Hammerite colors. I cant even find this stuff now days. Thanks
Like here maybe...

Thanks guys. I will look into the Brantingham green and see what turn up. I did give automotive paint a thought. No place to spray right now, its cold outside. Was looking for something I could brush on for this project. Just wanted to brush on over the bare casting and steel frame. The Hammerite was common in this country at one time. It would be nice to be able to walk into a place of business and look at my color choice. I have several pieces of equiptment about this same color. They include Kwik way head shop, valve grinder, Serve Equept hone, Dake press, a foundry furnace and a few more things.

I don't know any place that carries Hammerite on the shelf, but it might be found somewhere. IIRC the "Mid Green" (Winona Van Norman color) is only available in gallon containers. I've never tried the smooth finish, but if you spray the regular stuff in thin coats it gives a metallic finish without the hammer look, to get the hammer look it needs to be sprayed on thick. Instructions say not to thin it, but I use paint thinner and it works just fine. I've never tried to brush it, but it can be used that way.

Edit: Quick search shows Mid Green is available in quarts, I'm pretty sure it will match your green color, no idea about the blue/green.

Last edited:
Yes Grizzly chit is a lot darker green! Not what I was looking for, The green I was looking for has been around a lot longer then Grizzly been around.

Back