What's new
What's new

South bend 10L cast iron bearing specifications

Snapon1982

Plastic
I have a south bend 10L that has the cast iron bearings, i have purchased the Guide to renovating book and in this book its is for multiple lathes and does not specify exactly what they are for the 10L. It says .0007-.0010 is this correct for the 10L cast iron bearings. Seems like a ton of play when i push down zero out then lift up. Any feedback would be great thanks

Yes, the test and the targets for spindle bearing clearance is the same for both bearings (segmented cast iron and bronze). It may seem like a lot of play, but during operation, the oil creates an incompressible film that firms things up nicely.

Yes, the test and the targets for spindle bearing clearance is the same for both bearings (segmented cast iron and bronze).

Are you sure about that? I recall a different clearance spec for iron bearings. Not sure but maybe this is what I'm remembering: "Keep Your Lathe in Trim" says .001-.002 and has a picture of iron bearings. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3533.pdf

Seems like a ton of play when i push down zero out then lift up.
You don't want them too tight, the spindle will seize when it heats up. This happened to me, it stopped so suddenly that the chuck unscrewed itself and fell off

Are you sure about that? I recall a different clearance spec for iron bearings. Not sure but maybe this is what I'm remembering: "Keep Your Lathe in Trim" says .001-.002 and has a picture of iron bearings. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3533.pdf
Okay, you're correct. I thought that Form 2002 covered both bearing types, but it is specifically for the bronze sleeve bearings. Bulletin H-4, Keep Your Lathe In Trim says that your 0.001 to 0.002" lift test result is the correct spec.

My 16" has cast iron bearings. I set my target to just a C hair more that .001" on bearing clearance to about .00125". And to about .0005" on the end thrust.

I never had an issue with it running hot, and follow up checks a couple years after the fact show me still holding the same clearance.

I'd recommend not going under .001", nor over .002".

Back