What's new
What's new

South bend 17" turnado spindle taper

brushpile90

Aluminum
I have a 17" turnado. According to the literature there is a spindle adapter that takes the inside spindle taper down to a 5mt center. I am looking for info to make my own adapter. I need the actual spindle taper if anyone knows it.

Ted, do you know when they stopped making the short turnado, I've been thinking I might acquire one eventually if the price is right.

Ted, do you know when they stopped making the short turnado, I've been thinking I might acquire one eventually if the price is right.
Short??? The small spindle machine was replaced with the large in1975. They came in many lengths 6’ to 15’, and a special one for Uncle Sam was 5’(for mobile tool rooms)

Short??? The small spindle machine was replaced with the large in1975. They came in many lengths 6’ to 15’, and a special one for Uncle Sam was 5’(for mobile tool rooms)
Yes, the 66-inch bed, or was it actually 60-inchs?
I didn't know if they still made it after they introduced the 3-5/32 spindle hole on the 20-inch.
They didn't seem to list the 6'-6" bed (78") after that. Do you know if they made a government 5 foot or 66" in the 3-5/32 spindle hole?

Yes, the 66-inch bed, or was it actually 60-inchs?
I didn't know if they still made it after they introduced the 3-5/32 spindle hole on the 20-inch.
They didn't seem to list the 6'-6" bed (78") after that. Do you know if they made a government 5 foot or 66" in the 3-5/32 spindle hole?
Yes, large spindle. They also put risers on some(27”)😮

I have a 17" turnado. According to the literature there is a spindle adapter that takes the inside spindle taper down to a 5mt center. I am looking for info to make my own adapter. I need the actual spindle taper if anyone knows it.
Hello,

I also have a 17" turnado lathe with 30" bed and 2 9/16" center. Are you able to provide part number and/or the dimensions for the spindle adapter? i would also like to make my own.

Thanks,
Jacob S.

Back