What's new
What's new

South Bend 1935 6 ft bed, 15 inch swing restoration

kdtop3

Plastic
Hey all,

I'm restoring a South Bend 1935 6 ft bed, 15 inch swing lathe.

I have a playlist of a video series I am making as I go along.
South Bend Lathe Restoration - YouTube

It has a history that was quite exciting for me to discover. Part 6 of the video series tells all about it.
I'd love feedback.

Kevin T

764f070b-7138-4fb1-b96b-adb701600789.jpg

Hey all,
I'm restoring a South Bend 1935 6 ft bed, 15 inch swing lathe.

It has a history that was quite exciting for me to discover. Part 6 of the video series tells all about it.
I'd love feedback.

Kevin T

Hey ! We already have a Kevin T. You need a new initial. :D

His newer version 16":
South Bend 16 Toolroom Lathe - The Adventure Begins...

Good luck with the N. Curious to see the operation of the push/pull knob on apron.

Here's a cheap one in Michigan with a full length chip pan:
South Bend 16 inch Lathe for sale, Port Huron

Curious to see the operation of the push/pull knob on apron

An improvement on the "O" series - it had a knob (with a star) that you could loosen up to be able to move knob up or down (or centered) to select long, cross or none of the above feeds

The N does the same function with the push pull knob.

But the BIG difference O to N is that the N has a double wall apron

LOL, I thought he was calling me out to comment!! Pretty vain huh? lol When I clicked I see that he OP is indeed Kevin T!

I will check out the vids when it's beer thirty later today!

Aloha,
Kevin T

I did not watch the whole video of your method of getting your machines to your shop, it was too painful... Had you considered building a sled type pallet and come alonging them down or was the ground just too uneven? Jim (welcome to the forum, restoration video's are always interesting)

I did not watch the whole video of your method of getting your machines to your shop, it was too painful... Had you considered building a sled type pallet and come alonging them down or was the ground just too uneven? Jim (welcome to the forum, restoration video's are always interesting)

Yeah, you might want to jump past the slow and painful parts. :-)
I'm esp proud of video part 6. If you were to watch just 1, that would be it.
https://youtu.be/-M8WF7xjbVM

I got to the attempt to get the machines in the shop too! Oh man, what an ordeal. Glad to read there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I suggest you consider getting one of these kits (this particular one is NOT for our 15" older lathes with the oilers on top of the headstock!).

South Bend Lathe 16" - Rebuild Manual and Parts Kit (All Models) | eBay

You'll have to contact the seller and ask him to put a kit together for you since he doesn't sell one specially for our older lathes. Ours does not take the spring spindle oil felt/wicks since we have the top oilers. And the sizes/quantities of felts in the felt package will be different.

The book will give you a lot of good info even though it doesn't specifically cover our older machines (it's close in a lot of ways). I bought a kit when rebuilding my newer 13" and it was nice having the book and replacement oil felt kit. A lot better than trying to clean the old felts...

Ted

Ted,

I have discovered that my lathe is missing its threading dial. Is there any way you could send me photos of it so I can work on somehow replacing it? I would also appreciate information about how many teeth the engagement gear has, and how many indication marks there are for the user to view.

Thanks
Kevin Toppenberg

Ted,

I have discovered that my lathe is missing its threading dial. Is there any way you could send me photos of it so I can work on somehow replacing it? I would also appreciate information about how many teeth the engagement gear has, and how many indication marks there are for the user to view.

Thanks
Kevin Toppenberg

Got your message and will send you info via email.

Ted

Here is another episode. It is about replacing and upgrading my cross-slide screw.

And here is the latest is about leveling the lathe, with hockey-puck feet, and improving the fit of the cross-slide. And making a cross-slide way cover.

Enjoy!

Kevin

Hi Kevin, keep up the good work. I watched your history lesson video on the origin of your lathe, very interesting, thanks. Jim

Sometimes history seems to be in the misty past. But then other times it seems not that long ago. Thanks for the feedback.

Back