What's new
What's new

South Bend 9 Taper Attachment

Rickoo

Plastic
I recently acquired a taper attachment for my 9a and it has two alignment pins as well as bolt holes in the bracket that attaches to the rear of the apron.

My apron has two bolt holes that align with the bracket but no holes for the pins. It would be easy enough to punch out the pins, but now I'm wondering if it's wise to bolt the attachment on without the pins. Everything lines up fine.

Anyone run into this before?

Seeing as those would be alignment holes, unless you can locate new holes dead on, I would think you'd be fine without. Perhaps countersink the holes on the taper and use flat heads to try and prevent the taper from shifting.

You need to find a copy of the installation directions , it discusses how to install the attachment and drill the holes for the pins . I’m sure someone will post a link to them.

You do not need those pins except if the unit is removed at some point. You would simply have to realign it. Those pin holes are never put into the carriage except when installing the unit. A much more critical alignment is the bed clamp. The connection rod fits very loosely in the mounting hole in the bed clamp casting and only when the taper attachment is correctly aligned to the lathe is the clamp rod tightened with large flat washers and then cast in place with melted babbitt.

You need to find a copy of the installation directions , it discusses how to install the attachment and drill the holes for the pins . I’m sure someone will post a link to them.

Thanks. Tried searching for instructions for a SB9 and couldn't find anything. If someone has them, I would appreciate seeing them!

Back