What's new
What's new

South Bend Color

uwmetalman

Plastic
Hi All, I recently bought a 1927(?) 16" SB lathe. It has about ten coats of badly damaged paint (including the operating surfaces). Can anyone tell me the original factory color? It's a nice old lathe it's just a bit beat-up and rusty.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Salisbury

One I used to run was about this vintage, was black. I don't think it had been repainted. But it had a few years on me, my pappy wasn't even born till 1932.

The original owner of this machine died around 19 years ago, can't ask him about the color.

[This message has been edited by halfnut (edited 05-16-2002).]

I have a 1917 and a 1930 South Bend lathes of the same size. When I contacted the company, they said that they only used 2 basic colors, black before WWII and their current color after WWII. However, customers could order custom colors.
Originally posted by uwmetalman:
Hi All, I recently bought a 1927(?) 16" SB lathe. It has about ten coats of badly damaged paint (including the operating surfaces). Can anyone tell me the original factory color? It's a nice old lathe it's just a bit beat-up and rusty.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Salisbury

My 1928 9" Jr. was originally black under the grey paint, under the tan paint, under the ugly NEON GREEN latex (even the compound graduations!).

I ended up going with Krylon Dove Grey for the color when I finished stipping it

-Mike.

Back