What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 spindle shims

I am going to contact grizzly today and see if the shims are available. I'll post what I find out.
Well I called grizzly today and it apeers that they only sell and stock parts for newer lathes, and the sales of copys of the serial cards. Older lathe parts are sold through the south bend lathe co. Here's the new phone number if any one is interested 360-734-1540. Head stock shims are no longer available for heavy 10's, some other parts are still available. I was able to get a special set screw for the back gear. I guess I'm makin my own shims! I can source brass shim stock localy and I have an idea of how to cut them out, if it works I'll post about my method.

Would anyone be interested in a set of shims out of brass with .002" laminations? I have a decent amount (8x12" or so) of leftover stock from the set of shims I hand-made for my Heavy Ten a few years back. I believe the thickness is .020 or .032, but I'll check for sure tomorrow. If there is enough interest, I'll pull apart my headstock, make some CAD models, and machine out a few sets on my VMC. .002" laminations were good enough for my lathe, but I don't know if that is too coarse for others'. I would be happy to include a set of .001" fine-adjust shims just in case, assuming it machines OK when stacked with the other shim stock. I was thinking if at least four people were interested at $50/set shipped, it would be worth the trouble of drawing everything up and making the fixture, etc.

I'm not trying to steal the business of the OP, but he appears to have disappeared, and having gone through hand-making my own set of shims in the past, I know how much of a pain this is. I also know that $50 is less than the raw stock was from McMaster that I made my original set from (nevermind the $150 punch set which I also had to buy).

Let me know in this thread. If there's enough interest by Wednesday, I'll order up the .001" stock and the material for the fixture, and make up the first sets of shims next weekend.

Would anyone be interested in a set of shims out of brass with .002" laminations? I have a decent amount (8x12" or so) of leftover stock from the set of shims I hand-made for my Heavy Ten a few years back. I believe the thickness is .020 or .032, but I'll check for sure tomorrow. If there is enough interest, I'll pull apart my headstock, make some CAD models, and machine out a few sets on my VMC. .002" laminations were good enough for my lathe, but I don't know if that is too coarse for others'. I would be happy to include a set of .001" fine-adjust shims just in case, assuming it machines OK when stacked with the other shim stock. I was thinking if at least four people were interested at $50/set shipped, it would be worth the trouble of drawing everything up and making the fixture, etc.

I'm not trying to steal the business of the OP, but he appears to have disappeared, and having gone through hand-making my own set of shims in the past, I know how much of a pain this is. I also know that $50 is less than the raw stock was from McMaster that I made my original set from (nevermind the $150 punch set which I also had to buy).

Let me know in this thread. If there's enough interest by Wednesday, I'll order up the .001" stock and the material for the fixture, and make up the first sets of shims next weekend.
If you are talking a full set, front and rear, total of 4 shim packs . That's a very fair price! I think the .001" would be necessary.

as the winter months approach I seem to be getting more and more interest in my shims. I have been very busy with many different projects, but I have made some progress. All of my tooling is ready for machining, I have purchased a machine, and I have made up my initial drawings. I will spend some time programming this week, and try to have all of this tooling done ASAP. Thank you all for your patients, and I will keep you posted.

It seems that FSH has reposted about his shims and he is still working on them. Maybe you should start a new thread about your shims with a few pics if you can so as not to steal his thread. being that the shims are no longer available you both will probably do well with them over time as a lot of people will not want to take the time to make them unless absolutely nesessary. A source for these is needed for many people. imo

shims

Hello I just finished machining some shims for my South Bend Heavy 10 and I was considering selling sets for around 15.00. I had a set of original shims that came with my lathe and was quite surprised at the rough nature of their profile. I attached some photos of the rear shims. My set would include shims for both front and rear. I would appreciate any thoughts on this, including price and demand. Thanks

Would like to purchase shims for Heavy 10, can I buy them in brass. Can I call you also for some advise

Thanks
Chip

<[email protected]>

I may also be interested in brass shims. Should know in another week or two if I need them. One of mine was just a thin piece like someone lost the rest of the the shim. I will keep my eye on this thread.

Back