What's new
What's new

South Bend identification and shipping

jpointer311

Plastic
Well, after the warner swasey #2 not suiting my needs my uncle sent me a picture of his old south bend and said I can have it with all of the tooling, collets, jaws etc.

I asked him what model it was and he doesn't know. I was thinking either a 10 or 13 based on the pictures. Anyone with more knowledge then I have a better guess?

Also, has anyone used a good shipper? My uncle has a fork lift but doesn't want to palletize it.

Attachments

• IMG_1226(1).jpg
    IMG_1226(1).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1225(1).jpg
    IMG_1225(1).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1227(1).jpg
    IMG_1227(1).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1221(1).jpg
    IMG_1221(1).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1224(1).jpg
    IMG_1224(1).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1220(1).jpg
    IMG_1220(1).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 96
I see you dint have your location listed.
It is a nice looking machine.. so easy to tip over be careful.

*Steel on steel is like skates on ice, so it can be safer with a rope or strap to the forklift

Last edited:
I will have to get it crated and find a shipper once it's all boxed. Driving isn't an option in the near future due to work.

Definitely do not want it damaged.

Make note of the way South Bend built skids.

985D14F9-9A8A-44D9-92AB-6BD99F4E7B8E.jpeg

A regular pallet is not even on the right planet. It should be strapped down to the skid in addition to large lag screws into the meat of that thick lumber. That does not relieve the requirement of strapping it on the trailer bed so that it cannot overturn.

Rick “moving a 14-1/2 in a few weeks” Denney

Colchester CT eh. I'd be happy to pick it up and "hold" it for a while!

LOL. This is relatively new 10L if it has a three-step cone pulley. Have him lift the belt cover and count the steps. The cast iron base is the heaviest part of the entire machine.

This is a nice lathe. It will clean up nicely. Get this by all means possible. Get ALL the goods that come with it. It has a lever type collet closer.

That's a 10" lathe. It looks like a 4 foot bed. The exact model number can be found under all those layers of paint on the gear selection chart on the gear box. The weight of everything is north of 1,400 pounds.

Sorry wasn't getting notification. I am going to end up driving up there. Just will be a few months before I can get some time off.

He has another crate full of tooling, collets etc. Guess it's worth the gas money

Sorry wasn't getting notification. I am going to end up driving up there. Just will be a few months before I can get some time off.

He has another crate full of tooling, collets etc. Guess it's worth the gas money
It is definitely worth the gas money. Better deal than the car I hauled back up here from FL for my brother and sister in law - LOL. And I'm not complaining about being able to help them. You will enjoy that machine.
Dale

Picked it up last weekend. The cross slide is slipping so it took it apart.

It does have the taper attachment but belive the cross slide feed screw was replaced for a non taper style?

Now I need to either replace it with the same or locate the proper setup for the taper attachment. The nut underneath, brass is stripped and the threads are extremely sharp on the feed screw.

This nut had a screw on the top and i unscrewed it and fell through the open slot,(once I aligned the the compound rest with that opening) I assume this was the proper way to take it out

This is my first lathe so take it easy on me if I didn't use the right terminology :)

Attachments

• 20230611_140444.jpg
    20230611_140444.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230611_140409.jpg
    20230611_140409.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The cross feed screw in your lathe is for an engine lathe, not for taper attachment. That style can work for you, but you won't have use of taper attachment.

There is a sliding shaft that goes into TA hanger, it appears that is missing also. It would look like this:
166.jpg

Cross feed screw screw for taper attachment style is two pieces. A slip joint is how the 2 pieces connect, and slide in or out when using TA. Dial side would be short, and look like this:
97.jpg

The longer part of feed screw would slip through that sliding shaft mentioned above, and be held on by a nut on rear side of lathe, something like this:
333.jpg

Email Ted at [email protected] for possible missing pieces.

Ebay is still a decent source of parts. Know what size your lathe is in the search, ie South Bend Lathe 13, etc.

Thanks! I will email Ted and see if he has anything available.

The sliding shaft in the ta, is this what you are talking about or the piece that slides in into that sleeve

Attachments

• 16865097403466321948153041466986.jpg
    16865097403466321948153041466986.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Thanks! I will email Ted and see if he has anything available.

The sliding shaft in the ta, is this what you are talking about or the piece that slides in into that sleeve
That is it, you have the sliding shaft. But its never gonna slide looking like that :D. There is a taper pin which holds it in that round part with vertical stud, for that slotted chip guard. You'll have to knock that taper pin out to be able to get sliding shaft out, or moving free. Might clean it up the best you can prior to trying to remove it. And the two small holes pointing up on TA hanger are for oil, to lube the sliding shaft.

What goes inside the sliding shaft is the longer portion of two piece feed screw. The smoothe part of feed screw slides in and bumps up against the collar on feed screw, seen here:
292.jpg

Not seen in the pic, but the end of smoothe part of feed screw is threaded for a nut. You slide into sliding shaft, and a thrust washer and nut go on the other side. Adjust nut to leave .001" or .002" back and forth thrust. And the feed screw should spin nicely inside sliding shaft.

And sliding shaft should slide back and forth like butter inside the hanger, the two ends of it.

If you can not find all the pieces. I would get a new cross feed nut off ebay and use like an engine lathe until you do find all the right parts. Do random checks every so often, parts always come and go on ebay. Over the course of a year or years you find every do-dad twice over. Sometimes you just need patience.

It is definitely worth the gas money. Better deal than the car I hauled back up here from FL for my brother and sister in law - LOL. And I'm not complaining about
I will have to get it crated and find a shipper once it's all boxed. Driving isn't an option in the near future due to work.

Definitely do not want it damaged.
Pay attention to the rdenney post and duplicate it. Then whatever it takes to keep it from sliding, and lash as high up as you can between the sides of the bed and the ways of the lathe. Can not stress enough how little it takes to tip these rascals over.

Back