What's new
What's new

Speedio is too damn fast, how do I slow down spindle acc/dec

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I was attempting to add a LANG chip fan to the speedio, but the acceleration on the speedio is so fast I swear it is going to destroy this fan.
Is there a method to slow the spindle acceleration down for just one tool?

As is, I was going to do something like this.
M3S2000
G4P1 (1 second pause)
S4000
G4P1
S6000
etc...... up to 10,000.
Same on the stopping. Slow decel.

well they are rated 3-8 or 6-12K, so accel wont do anything to it.
G04 P500 is the code on fanuc, in milliseconds. for non canadian or metric people thats 1000 milliseconds in a second.

X1000 is in seconds and also is U

Last edited:
G04 P500 is the code on fanuc, in milliseconds. for non canadian or metric people thats 1000 milliseconds in a second.

accel is actually what kills chip fans more than overspinning. when the blades open up too fast (from rapid ramp in rpm) and hit the back stops, snapping them off. all the ones i've used before have you ramp up the rpm up to max rated rpm to increase life.

Well, when I measure time in inches, I usually have to divide everything by 25.4 so I usually get done a lot faster with things than those of you who do things in metric.

Or do I do things a lot slower? Let me get my time standard out.

:D

Pretty sure we know and measure things in milliseconds here in the US. Or I would like to think we do. Plenty of dumb people here.

One time, when daylight savings time hit, I had the new kid get the ladder to change the time on the big clock on the wall, told him "we need to change the time". I come back 10 minutes later, and the clock is on my desk, unchanged. I asked him why it's on my desk, and he said "I've never had to change the time on one of those clocks before, I don't know how." .... There's literally only a small knob on the battery powered clock, you didn't think to simply try to change it???? Thinking back on it, I'm not sure he knew how to tell time with that clock. He left here saying his dad was going to help him a job/school training him to be a paramedic. I sure hope he never got far with that, or if he did, he doesn't have to help me out in an emergency.

Sorry for the tangent I went on. As for the fan, I would probably change the speed a lot more often than 2000rpm steps if you're worried about accel on the spindle. And yes, you would want something like p1000 ( 1 second same as x1 / u1) between steps

Guys, I think you're focusing on the RPM too much.
I don't have a fan, so I don't know how fast it would need to spin efficiently therefore can't comment there, but I do see his concern about the accel/decel.
In fact, I'd be more concerned about the deceleration. With the fan fully open, spinning say 1000RPM, it has a good amount of inertia.
If the deceleration is so drastic as to be almost like a dead mechanical stop, not sure how long before some deformation occurs.

Been running a Redline collapsible fan at 6500 rpm on the end of a 6 or 8" end mill holder being spun up by a fast accelerating Mori/Fanuc built in spindle (Motor shaft) for 5 years without any problem. It's rated for more.

If you ask me... the acceleration rate basically doesn't change by throwing in a pause. It will be the same for each step on the way up to the final one. The blades extend in milliseconds regardless of initial or end speed, so the perceived damage is already done whether you're starting at 500 or 5000.

I'd bet these fans have been run through the wringer, including up to catastrophic failure, before anyone puts a top speed listing on the package and starts sending them out the door.

I've been running a Redline 6.3" in my S700 at 10k RPM (it's rated 6,000 - 12,000) through 1000's of starts and stops. No signs of wear or impending failure.

IME, the Redline at least needs a lot of RPM's to be effective. Your definition of effective may be different than mine though, so YMMV.

Regards.

Mike

I asked him why it's on my desk, and he said "I've never had to change the time on one of those clocks before, I don't know how."
A few months ago, I was going through a fast food drive through and the counter worker remarked "Nice watch!" as I took my change. I was a bit confused, because I wear a cheap Timex of no particular distinction. I eventually realized (weeks later) that this young person probably grew up with smartphones rather than wristwatches, and in their social circle probably never saw a wristwatch on anyone else either. So seeing an analog watch was probably like sighting some strange, exotic and antique instrument.
So, we may have to complement the "Old folks can't set a VCR" with "Young folks can't set a watch". And just wait for the questions: "What's a VCR?" and "What's a watch?"
Sorry for extending dandrummerman21's tangent ...

A few months ago, I was going through a fast food drive through and the counter worker remarked "Nice watch!" as I took my change. I was a bit confused, because I wear a cheap Timex of no particular distinction. I eventually realized (weeks later) that this young person probably grew up with smartphones rather than wristwatches, and in their social circle probably never saw a wristwatch on anyone else either. So seeing an analog watch was probably like sighting some strange, exotic and antique instrument.
So, we may have to complement the "Old folks can't set a VCR" with "Young folks can't set a watch". And just wait for the questions: "What's a VCR?" and "What's a watch?"
Sorry for extending dandrummerman21's tangent ...
The thing that really gets me about not being able to set a clock for these young people, is, I'm a "young person" myself at 32 years old. I would have been about 27 at the time and he would have been about 20.

He actually went to the same school district I did. I just wonder if they maybe changed from dial to digital clocks on the walls and in the hallway after I left or something. Or maybe he just wasn't too bright.

The fan is rated 6000 to 12000 for the snap out plastic LANG chip fan. Hearing the wings snap open to 6000 rpm surprised me and made me concerned with fan longevity. I run a larger LANG fan on the Fadal, turn it on to 3000 rpm pause a half second and then up to 10,000 rpm. That old machine ramps up much slower.

I remember that the bigger fan told me to accelerate to over 2500 rpm to extend the blades properly and then up to max. I will play with the delays going up and down. Once it's spinning and the blades are fully extended, it shouldn't really matter too much on the rest of the increase. But snapping those wings open surprised me.

I have ripped the blades off a few of the budget fans, it is the sudden change from blades hanging vertically to be being fully extended horizontally that does the damage, the blade gets a mark or dent from the stop in the housing. By starting at a lower speed around 1000rpm gets the blade horizontal, a short dwell of 0.5 sec and then the speed you need, our case 5000 to 7000rpm.
The deceleration is not an issue as the blades just drop under the spring tension down to hanging vertically again.

Been running a Redline collapsible fan at 6500 rpm on the end of a 6 or 8" end mill holder being spun up by a fast accelerating Mori/Fanuc built in spindle (Motor shaft) for 5 years without any problem. It's rated for more.

If you ask me... the acceleration rate basically doesn't change by throwing in a pause. It will be the same for each step on the way up to the final one. The blades extend in milliseconds regardless of initial or end speed, so the perceived damage is already done whether you're starting at 500 or 5000.

I'd bet these fans have been run through the wringer, including up to catastrophic failure, before anyone puts a top speed listing on the package and starts sending them out the door.
big difference if you're going from 0 to 1000 vs 0 to 8000 rpm in a second... accel matters.

I have ripped the blades off a few of the budget fans, it is the sudden change from blades hanging vertically to be being fully extended horizontally that does the damage, the blade gets a mark or dent from the stop in the housing. By starting at a lower speed around 1000rpm gets the blade horizontal, a short dwell of 0.5 sec and then the speed you need, our case 5000 to 7000rpm.
The deceleration is not an issue as the blades just drop under the spring tension down to hanging vertically again.
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!

Back