What's new
What's new

Speedio Probe replacement

mpug25

Plastic
I replaced the probe in my s500 for some small diameter work. Setting the length I'm all good but my xy program which calls all the renishaw subroutines has code for z axis moves as well as a g54.1 p48 position. My understanding was I update the diameter to my ring gauge, get the probe kinda centered in there and hit go on the xy program and I'm done. But now I'm second guessing this all because of z axis and such
Happy to post a snip of the code if needed

Last edited:
Yes, you need to run the routine to set the probe stylus diameter if you change it. I haven't had to do it but I do have that program and a video of the install tech doing it on my machine so I will know how when the time comes.

Yes, you need to run the routine to set the probe stylus diameter if you change it. I haven't had to do it but I do have that program and a video of the install tech doing it on my machine so I will know how when the time comes.
Would you be willing to share the video by chance?

have you swept the probe in on center with an indicator or presetter?
while it doesn't have to (and will never be frankly) perfect, it should be reasonably close to center. you can do this by placing an indicator on the ruby of the sytlus, rotating the spindle and using the grub screws near the tool connection to move the stylus (think 4 jaw chuck).

after getting it close, you'll need to do one of two things. you are correct that newer renishaw macros do not require the ring to be perfect in x and y, as they will probe once with the probe at 0° and then orient the probe in the spindle 180° the opposite direction to determine the true eccentricity of the ball in both directions. IF your calibration macro does not do this then you will need to sweep in the ring gauge on center of your spindle as best as possible.

for the z length of a probe, you will need to use a tool of known length to teach the top of the ring and/or table, then calibrate the z length of the probe off that surface.

Would you be willing to share the video by chance?
Sorry, but when I took it I told him I wouldn't distribute it, and I don't have a ring yet so I can't make a new one.

mzbg, the probe stylus should be as close to center as possible, like .0001" tir close. Any error here will repeat to your work when you use it.

Sorry, but when I took it I told him I wouldn't distribute it, and I don't have a ring yet so I can't make a new one.

mzbg, the probe stylus should be as close to center as possible, like .0001" tir close. Any error here will repeat to your work when you use it.
i agree that it should be as close as possible as this will yield the best results, but it does not "have" to be perfect per Renishaw. The calibration cycle stores values for probe eccentricity into macro values on the control and these values are used to comp whatever you have measured. again, this has been further improved by the calibration cycle that orients the probe at 0° and 180° on applicable machines. point being is a lot of time can be wasted indicating it trying to get it "dead nuts" for very little gain. anything under .001" really is perfectly acceptable given the way the thing works. anything better than that is great and will further reduce possibility of error.

i calibrate the things for a living so i've done it a few times and like you I insist on getting it within tenths, but have also seen them function fine when they're up to .003-.004" off so long as they are calibrated correctly. this is a verbatim quote out of the renishaw manual.

1673380051788.png

Back