What's new
What's new

Spindle Wedge Lock for Removing Stuck Chucks

A lot of people will spin on a chuck when it is "a little gritty". A stuck chuck can be an expensive lesson in always keeping a chuck's backplate and the spindle's thread meticulously clean when spinning on a chuck. I keep a toothbrush on hand to always sweep the threads on both. If you recently cut something like cast iron, expect to have to dismantle your chuck to thoroughly clean the swarf out of the scroll, or it will continually drop out onto the spindle threads as you try to spin it on.

I also use a parchment paper washer between the chuck and the shoulder to prevent the chuck from becoming "one" with the spindle. Parchment paper is coated with silicone, which makes it non-stick and super slick. It also is very thin, so you still get a good register. Wax paper also works here and is coated with paraffin wax.

Update: I purchased one of the 3D printed spindle wedge blocks for my Logan 1400, upon inspection I had my doubts, no way those plastic teeth were going to hold. Installed it, put a 12" crescent wrench on the jaw, 1 good whack with a dead blow and the chuck spun free.

Back when I purchased this machine I spent several hours over numerous days trying different removal methods without success. If you have a stuck chuck, or want a better method of removing chucks without damaging gears, try a wedge block.

There's an old machinist trick about threaded spindle noses I picked up from one of my machinists books from the UK. Paper & thin cardboard are remarkably consistent in there thickness. Cut a doughnut shaped thin (old school shoe box type) cardboard washer that just fits over the spindle threads and it's OD just slightly smaller so it fits within the chuck back plate recess. A few drops of oil soaked into the cardboard helps stop it from picking up humidity and causing rust. What happens is the cardboard is slightly compressible and there's no metal to metal contact which is what really causes the back plate to bind up against the mating spindle surface and produce even more friction when trying to get a chuck off the spindle. It's then much much easier to get any chuck to break lose. Simple, cheap but still very effective.

Back