What's new
What's new

Stainless Steel grit blasting

pcm81

Cast Iron
So, i am rather interested in steel bead and steel grit blasting due to their longevity and dust less operation. Stainless steel grit seems like an ideal choice, since grit is more aggressive than bead and "stain less" supposed to prevent iron contamination of non-ferrous items being blasted... in theory... but in practice stainless steel is still like 85%-90% iron, which gets removed by acid etching from the surface during passivation process to make stainless steel stainless. Now, in blasting, presumably the surface of stainless steel grid will abrade, exposing fresh steel. So... does this then mean that stainless steel grit should not be considered as inert/iron free blasting media?

So, i am rather interested in steel bead and steel grit blasting due to their longevity and dust less operation. Stainless steel grit seems like an ideal choice, since grit is more aggressive than bead and "stain less" supposed to prevent iron contamination of non-ferrous items being blasted... in theory... but in practice stainless steel is still like 85%-90% iron, which gets removed by acid etching from the surface during passivation process to make stainless steel stainless. Now, in blasting, presumably the surface of stainless steel grid will abrade, exposing fresh steel. So... does this then mean that stainless steel grit should not be considered as inert/iron free blasting media?

but you also could use Alumina Oxide or Zirconium oxide.

stainless grit

Last edited:
We used cut wire stainless at my last job. It worked very well and left little residue. Might still need a follow-up with light ceramic media blast or chemical treatment for critical applications.

In theory steel grit blasting is very economic due to very slow breakdown of the blast media ......however ,carry out is your biggest loss ,and we were adding one ton of grit a week as makeup.................Id suspect stainless media to be costing something like $10k/ton ...or more.

So, i found a 25Kg of SS grit online for $225 only to have my order cancelled. All other listings i am seeing are like $300 for 25lb, so 3x more expansive... Anyhow, my 2 questions are:
1. is there a better place, store, to buy ss grit at reasonable price? I just need enough to fill up a hopper in Eastwood B60 cabinet.
2. Am i correct to assume that i can use stainless steel grit to blast soft colored metals, copper, brass, aluminum, without leaving iron contamination, like steel grit would leave?

My current process is to use mix of steel bead and grit to blast steel/iron and then i switch to glass bead or SiC for non-ferrous items; trying to minimize the switching by using stainless steel grit if it is in fact as inert as i am thinking now...

I would think iif you use SS grit on steel parts and then on non ferrous parts there will be steel particles along for the ride getting pounded into the non ferrous parts. You may need to do a good washing of the SS grits between steel and non ferrous parts if that is critical.
No matter what grit you use it would be best to not mix non ferrous and iron parts, that sounds like what you do now.

Back