What's new
What's new

Standard/Full Keypad Setting on Fanuc OM-C

13engines

Stainless
I'm swapping out my Standard Keypad MDI Unit for a Full Keypad unit. I want to be able to program GoProbe Probing cycles at the control in MDI, instead of having to make little programs offline and copy them over or let sit resident hogging up space.

In doing so I need to set Parameter 38.3 to 1 for Full Keypad.

My question. Should I do this right before I shut the machine down for the last time before the swap, or wait and make it the first thing I do after?

I'm thinking before, as I have no idea how the keypad will act with the wrong setting active.

Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks for any help.

Ha, I’m getting ready to do the same on my Makino with 0MB. Full keyboard off ebay for ~$150 👍. Have to move the existing power buttons and 4 other switches and load meter to another spot on the panel then the new keypad should fit nicely. As far as parameter switch you should change it then power off. Connect new keypad then power on. You should be able to reset the 100 PWE alarm then.

Mine was $275 also off ebay. :-)

One last thing before I take the plunge. All the connectors look identical to my Standard Unit. Do I need to add or switch out some wires or should existing cables work as is? Couple of Honda connectors (One Honda has a different outer cover) and a brown Power Supply Connection. (A1 Power Supply type) The darn Monitor unit has the exact same part number as my original. A good start...

I thought to make sure I at least had the same pin count as the cut off connectors have that came with the unit. (On the keypad connection)

IMG_2530.JPG

Last edited:
I've changed from the short keypad shown on your original control before. I didn't change the whole crt unit, I just built a delrin case for the new keypad, as it wouldn't fit on the machine I did it. See the picture below.

1675455570540.png

1675455745136.png

Yes, the keypad is sticking out a few inches on the right.

I am fairly positive the short keypad will still function somewhat even if you changed the parameter to full keypad, in the case of the full keypad being a dud.

When I was checking the Hardware Connection Manual, it only shows one cable configuration for the keypad so I'm sure there will be no need for a new cable for it.

That's good to know. I see my original 20 pin Honda Keypad connection has all pins present, whereas the one on the Full Keypad unit is missing either the first or last three. I guess more is better. Don't know if all pins are connected anyway.

My only remaining concern is my brown power supply connector has four wires and the new unit only has 2. Looks like it wants 24VDC. Just looking up the power supply connection scheme to make sure I don't give it something it's not expecting. My electrical manual is vacant on this connection.

I like the multi color keypad. I ordered a genuine Fanuc one off ebay, and after a week of not hearing a thing I inquired. They canceled the order. I guess it wasn't really in stock. I was worried they were going to send me a Chineese knockoff anyway, even though the one pictured was definitely genuine Fanuc.

Drill and tap a few holes. Solder a few wires. Eetz Verking!!

One extremely great benefit I wasn't planning on, is I can now do the lengthy GoProbe command lines in one continuous keying cycle. No more Insert-Insert-Insert. Heaven!

Didn't think I had a Shift key there for a second but was only stuck. The Menu and Macro buttons don't do anything (I think) and I'm not sure my Reset key is acting as it used to. Only time will tell.

The display is not as large or filled up as my old one. Can those adjustment screws increase width in one or both directions? Looks clear and sharp regardless.

EDIT IN: Oh man... another dream come true. I can now delete files in a range using the comma. I didn't even think OM's could do that at all as it is not listed in the OM Operators Manual as a possibility. Glad I tried it. A major-major time saver. Yeah... again!

IMG_2532.JPG

Last edited:
Hi that is great news! I may do this to my new small keypad lathe.
Yes, no kidding. And yes, do. I'm thrilled as you could maybe tell. What I haven't tried yet but is also highly likely to work, is Punching out a Rang-of-Programs using the comma. I do a lot of production type runs and use a lot of subroutines, typically sequentially numbered in one form or another. I like to copy them en masse to and from the machine. No problem on my 18M or 18iT, but was always impossible on the OM. Having that functionality now is such a relief. Plus the non-stop command line is truly the gods descending from heaven. Some of the best few hundreds I ever spent.

Hi sounds like is was good investment! I just bought one off ebay for a OT, the key pad membrane will need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Looks great Kevin!! Is that a new keypad membrane or the one it came with? Also is thier a parameter change that needed to be done?
That membrane is what it came with. The softkey membrane was effed so I took it off. Parameter 38.3 needs to be set to 1 to use this style keypad.

Yeah, I specifically picked one with a decent membrane. Real ones are spendy and the copies are sometimes troublesome by making keys get stuck. Kind of a crapshoot when buying a copy.

Looks Sweet! I got's to try again for the colored keypad. Even though I bought a new replacement for my white toned one, it doesn't do for me what my old one did and your new one does.

I see in just that one screen a slight variation in the soft key labeling. Yours has boxes around each and mine has either nothing or parenthesis. (Don't recall) Probably changed slightly every year, or maybe a MTB mod.

Wonder what Fanuc would want for that keypad? The knockoffs I've seen on ebay are a little hack. Cheap... but hack. Spent 30 years in the printing industry before becoming a machinist. I know a crap type copy when I see it. :-)

Hi i just got my new larger key pad installed, I bought a new key pad that has plastic buttons like newer controls use. So far it works great no sticky buttons like some of the aftermarket membrane sheets. I hope is lasts longer than any membrane sheet would!!

Attachments

• PXL_20230320_003734005.jpg
    PXL_20230320_003734005.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230320_003737638.jpg
    PXL_20230320_003737638.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 11

Back