What's new
What's new

Stark Lathe/Mill Ser. 351

Here's something as magnificent as it is rare - the indexing head for the milling attachment.
The base:
base1.jpg
base2.jpg

The housing after cleaning and repaint:

housing1.jpg
housing2.jpg

The housing rotates on the pin in the base and is locked by the 2 threaded handles from 0 - 90 degrees

Next, the spindle, spindle lock and spring-loaded indexing finger
spindle1.jpg
The spindle takes the same 4S collets as the headstock and uses a short drawbar the a hex cut on the end. The hex is not any standard fractional or metric size - 1.41" or 35.86mm
spindle2.jpg
The spindle is constructed just like the headstock spindle. The outer race of the back bearing slides on a keyway and is a tight slip fit on the spindle. The threaded ring is used to adjust and secure the bearings. I used a close fitting punch in the unthreaded hole in the adjuster and tightened the bearings by holding the front of the spindle between soft jaws on my bench vise and then tapping the bottom of the housing flange with a mallet.
lock.jpgThe parts for the spindle lock and indexing finger. The spindle lock is a simple spring loaded plunger that fits into one of the four holes in the center of the spindle. The index has a hold-off whose tip drops into the slot at the rear of the housing when the index is pulled back far enough from the indexing gear. Simple and elegant.
finished1.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the lathe in the afternoon light. I moved it to the front of my little rowhouse in anticipation of moving and setting up my clock workshop in the front room.
Stark3.jpg

Stark1.jpg

Stark2.jpg

Stark4.jpg

Update: I have discovered that the countershaft is off a Seneca Falls lathe that was mounted backwards with the levers and rod added.
counterlever.jpg

counterlever2.jpg

The lathe-countershaft belt is tensioned using this square headed screw bearing against a steel block. A bit sketchy as the block is only thing preventing the countershaft from falling forward against the headstock.

counterbase1.jpg

There is a heavy tab/bracket preventing the countershaft from falling backwards

counterback.jpg

Finally, here is the under bench motor mount.

motormount.jpg

The motor is pivoted and the countershaft-motor belt tension is set using the knob near the center top of the pic.

Back