What's new
What's new

Starrett Quality.

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
I've been a long time Starrett customer. Back in the 80's when Steve Baccardi was their west coast sales rep. he used to joke with some seriousness that I was the largest user of Starrett in CA. Back in the day they had good quality control and made a good product.

I just purchased several of their cast iron bench levels from a recognized Starrett distributor... these things are bad... no they are awful, they suck. One reads 1/2 a bubble off and of course there is no adjustment. None are especially close or especially sensitive when I put it up against the same model number but 20 years older.

What gives? I was in the market for a 0-12 Micrometer set, should I shy away from Starrett?

Cyclotronguy

Starrett used to make pretty good stuff. Too bad that's no longer true.

My guess is their CEO can't make enough money if he pays American workers decent wages to make stuff.

All of my purchases over the last several years have been Mitutoyo. Most have .00005" resolution. Nice stuff.

- Leigh

Check out the Long Island Indicator Service recommendation

Directly from the LIIS site:

"Starrett does not make a good quality micrometer although it's highly popular. The DaVinci Code was highly popular. That didn't make it a good novel. (editor's note) Repairs sent to Starrett incur a high bench charge so it's probably more economical to find an independent repair shop to deal with these when the time comes."

In my experience, Starrett mics are overpriced, don't feel right in hand, and generally are not my first choice. Swiss (Tesa, Brown and Sharpe, Etalon) mics are the cream of the crop, but my Mitutoyo 103 series are the workhorses in my toolbox. Over 20 years and they have never fallen out of calibration.

Starrett used to make pretty good stuff. Too bad that's no longer true.

My guess is their CEO can't make enough money if he pays American workers decent wages to make stuff.

All of my purchases over the last several years have been Mitutoyo. Most have .00005" resolution. Nice stuff.

- Leigh

What happened to:

This forum is for constructive discussions...

not vendor bashing.

- Leigh

Just wonderin'

I lost or permanently misplaced my Starrett C3505R scale so off I went to get a new one. Know that I have had nothing but these scales my entire 26 + year career and absolutely love them.

I have had the new one now for 6 or 7 months and the numbers are almost invisible. My 20 year old one - when I find it - will still be legible.

What gives Starrett?

Signed a disgruntled shareholder.

One of the lucky ones

That's a bummer about the bad 132's. I was considering getting a new 6"...

I don't know how I manage to continue to dodge this quality control bullet, but I always seem to get good quality when I buy new Starrett.

A bunch of new combination and double squares in 4", 6" , 12", 18" and 24" sizes, 385 and 387 straight edges in 12" to 48", tap wrenches, scribes, precision screwdrivers, probably 3-4 dozen satin chrome rules from 2" to 72" in 4R, 5R, 7R, 9R...end grads, etc. etc...and always quality to drool over.

I'd buy a new Starrett mic or two I guess, but I only own new Mit calipers and mics...all the starrett's, b&S mics and others are vintage..some like new, some not...all tight and rite

Whenever my rules fade or get dull I just give them a wipe with an all white cotton paper towel and lacquer thinner and they brighten back up to like new...same for the square blades... go figure.

I do love to buy older used Starret and USA tools like B&S and top shelf vintage Lufkin...there's something that is uber cool about using a tool that's still dead nuts square after 100 years

I just hate to read the stories from guys who get let down with bad quality...fwiw I'll still keep buying new...whenever I can afford too that is. Somebody has to try to support US Industry... :smoking:

The problem with the metrology industry is you never know who actually makes the stuff. All of the suppliers are getting their products made all over the world. They actually make very little for themselves.

Check out ST Industries, St. James MN. Made in the USA.

tool quality and manufacturing methods

tool quality is based on manufacturing method

rulers are often not engraved anymore but use a photo chemical etching or plating for the lines.

ask your self how would you make this tool and for how much"

Manufacturing methods is competitive. like an Olympics race. No one cares who is faster / cheaper than last year. Most just want to know who is fastest/cheapest and does not cheat or skip quality.

Too many workers say I do work 2% cheaper this year than last year how come I do not get more money / pay. Because your competition does work 10% cheaper maybe using new methods and technology and smarter manufacturing organization. Ouch but the truth often hurts

+1 on buy old Starrett but don't buy new Starrett.

+1 on having good luck with Mitutoyo. Excellent stuff. Haven't been disappointed yet, and it lasts. Different instruments I have from Mitutoyo pass QC inspection no problem/ no calibration required even after 25 years use.

Had very bad experience lately with a Fowler bore gauge I bought new from KBC Tools. It was a cheap chinese POS, not like the old Fowler stuff at all. I couldn't even assemble it repeatably, and there was so much slop in parts of it the needle moved half the range before I started measuring! Hunkosheisse. KBC did refund my money no problem and the guy I spoke to was shocked at how bad it was.

The shop I worked in four years ago was not a safe place to leave good tools. I bought a 0-6 set of Enco ( part# 510-2218 ) premium import mikes for $180 and took the Starrett mikes home.

My current employer has better security. But the Starrett mikes are still at home. The Enco mikes have better feel and haven't needed adjustment since new. Holding one up next to a Mit of the same size you can't tell them apart. I'm guessing they are the same mike with a different name and price.

Of course Enco is part of MSC. Their practice is to initially market a great product for a low price, then switch to garbage after building customer confidence. I notice that Enco no longer calls this set "Premium" import. Hmm!

Starett has recently went to "global manufacturing" on some of their products, this piece of junk wouldn't happen to be made in China, would it?

I just purchased several of their cast iron bench levels from a recognized Starrett distributor... these things are bad... no they are awful, they suck. One reads 1/2 a bubble off and of course there is no adjustment.

The No.130 or the No.132 Bench levels?

Dualkit,

As far as I know, based on the Starrett Catalog both are made in the USA. Starrett really needs to update the catalog though, they list their measurement tools made in Scotland as "Global" in the same category as the Chinese products. :nutter:

Dimitri

One of the lucky ones

That's a bummer about the bad 132's. I was considering getting a new 6"...

I don't know how I manage to continue to dodge this quality control bullet, but I always seem to get good quality when I buy new Starrett.

A bunch of new combination and double squares in 4", 6" , 12", 18" and 24" sizes, 385 and 387 straight edges in 12" to 48", tap wrenches, scribes, precision screwdrivers, probably 3-4 dozen satin chrome rules from 2" to 72" in 4R, 5R, 7R, 9R...end grads, etc. etc...and always quality to drool over.

I'd buy a new Starrett mic or two I guess, but I only own new Mit calipers and mics...all the starrett's, b&S mics and others are vintage..some like new, some not...all tight and rite

Whenever my rules fade or get dull I just give them a wipe with an all white cotton paper towel and lacquer thinner and they brighten back up to like new...same for the square blades... go figure.

I do love to buy older used Starret and USA tools like B&S and top shelf vintage Lufkin...there's something that is uber cool about using a tool that's still dead nuts square after 100 years

I just hate to read the stories from guys who get let down with bad quality...fwiw I'll still keep buying new...whenever I can afford too that is. Somebody has to try to support US Industry... :smoking:
I am a new self employed conventional machinist. Thought Starret was good from old timers who were right cause they are using old stuff they bought new I have a pair of 200 dollar 120a 6'' calipers that I hate in comparison to my 40 dollar Any Time tools calipers which are repeatable every single time on guage blocks and rarely bind. Every bandsaw starret blade I have bought has broken within a week in comparison to the cheapo Imascinist blades on amazon lasting many months. I just don't get it. Very strange.

Don't tighten your bandsaw blades so tight!!!!
My Starrett 120 calipers I bought in 1977, I had to retire in 2004 due to wear in the jaws. Had about a half an thousandth wear when checked with gage blocks. Not close enough for my work holding +/-.005" tolerances. Tools do wear out.. Bandsaw blades, I use Starrett blades on my can't mention here bandsaw with satisfying results.

Back