What's new
What's new

Starrett Vise Buttress Threads

eelspike

Plastic
I need to turn a screw for this Starrett/Athol vise. I will measure and turn to fit, but I am wondering if anyone here knows what buttress thread standard was used on Starrett/Athol vises. As you can see it took some heat to to get this apart but if feel the nut will cleanup fine and is serviceable certain it is tough.

PXL_20220124_184007479.jpgPXL_20220124_183928184.MP.jpgPXL_20220127_120308927.jpgPXL_20220127_112322738.jpg

Last edited:
I highly doubt Starrett used any standard to make the buttress threads to. Try to match it up the best you can and make a sample thread to screw into the vise body. You definitely not going to find any taps on the shelf to fit that thread. They do make threading inserts to the ANSI standard that may work if the flank angles are the same. There are lots of "special" buttress threading inserts out there that most of the people selling them have no clue what they have. You are probably going to have to grind a piece of HSS to create the form needed. Have fun!

EDIT:

You may still be able to purchase a new screw from Starrett. Worth a try.

In case screw is damaged, I would try casting something in the nut, and then measuring the casting to get my new screw right.

Getting the casting out may be a trick. Have to use a release agent that wil not change the profile much. Maybe dip the nut in hot paraffin..let it sit for a while lest the cold iron freeze a thick layer. Once all cold, you could pour it full of epoxy...embed a piece of keystock to give yourself something to grab to unscrew it. You could use lead, or babbitt, or aluminum

you could pour it full of epoxy...embed a piece of keystock to give yourself something to grab to unscrew it. You could use lead, or babbitt, or aluminum

..or CerroBend or..

I need to determine the taper in a drill press quill and my brother gave me a jar of Polymold castable plastic.
I haven't tried it yet but he says he has had success with it in various projects..

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2712563.pdf

Mike

Those are great suggestions I have used Cerrosafe to do rifle chamber casting but the plastic stuff look very interesting also. It's moot now but I appreciate the thought you put into it, thank you it is something that I am will be helpful for other projects.

Back