What's new
What's new

Starrett Wooden Machinist Toolbox

spork2367

Aluminum
I got a nice Gerstner style wooden toolbox awhile back. It has a metal Starrett plate on the front, and the drawers are lined with red felt. The tool box has maybe two scuff marks on it, but the original owner took very good care of it and had a nice cover for it. I paid 125.00 for it, which I believe to be a pretty good deal, but I was wondering why I couldn't find anything like it anywhere on the net. I see loads of Gerstner boxes on Ebay, but I couldn't even find a Starrett box on google. Is it something that is hard to come by? Or is it so common that no one bothers selling them? Thanks.

(I'll try to put up a picture tonight.)

i guess i should have listed this as OT, but no one has any info on these boxes, or how prevelant they were?

I think these were made for Starrett by either Gerstner or Union. Is the front panel beveled or flat? That will give you an idea of age, the flat front dates from the mid 1950's and newer. They are not too common but the Starrett brand is valued more highly by Starrett tool collectors than tool chest collectors in general. Most of the Starrett boxes were mahogany.

Steve

This is NOT off-topic for this forum, as antique tools have been discussed here many times. (The prime internet forum for discussion of antique tools is probably the OLDTOOLS mailing list, although that list has a lot of discussion of the USE of the tools and most of that is woodworking rather than metalworking.)

My 1938 Starrett catalog is at home, but IIRC there were two wooden tool chests shown in the 1938 book. I think one was offered "fully outfitted" - and also IIRC the Starrett list of contents of this outfit is considered by some members of PM to be a good list of basic machinist tools that will handle a wide variety of jobs.

There are others on the list with the 1938 book, and since I can't be of much help here, I humbly request that the other catalog owners step in and give a precise answer.

John

As said above... these are from the 1950s-60s... they are usually (all that I have seen) mahogany....... I have seen them sell on ebay in the $ 400-500 range..... the Starrett collector do like them and everyone them should have one. And this is not OT.... we all love to talk about old tools around here.

My Starrett Catalogue No. 27, 3rd edition, copyright 1962 shows both metal (in the manner of the Kennedy line) and wooden (in the manner of the Gerstners) tool chests. The wooden chest is described as being made of Honduras mahogany. The drawers in both have "Starrett red" lining.

My 5th edition of the No. 27 catalogue, copyright 1976, shows only the metal Kennedy-like chest. Maybe someone with a 4th ed., No. 27 catalogue can help narrow down when Starrett stopped offering the wooden chest.
David

The wooden chest is described as being made of Honduras mahogany.
David

that is very interesting. i do a lot of mission work in Honduras. they exported more mahogany than any other country in the world up until they deforested the entire country. they used to be an "industrializing" nation, but are now a third world country. it's sad. a little resource management could have allowed them to thrive off of their natural resources for a long time. now, one of the military's primary missions is to roam the rural mountains and keep people from cutting down trees. the method they use is to start fires at the bases of the trees to make them easier to cut down with a machete, and it starts forest fires.

WoW!

Rivett indicates that a nice looking box, like a Gerstner with a STARRETT metal logo plate on the front is worth $400-$500!!!! :(

Well, wanna make your own, genuine original Starrett box? I've got those metal plates, unused in red letters and black letters and in a host of different sizes. The first $250 gets their choice!! :crazy:

As I recall, Rivett has a nice, crispy Starrett box. But, it isn't nearly as interesting as that super C. E Jennings 1880's style gentleman's/machinist chest he got at an Austin Bohn auction. That one came complete with a poison pin - really!

And then there was the one that got away from me. Maybe 20+ years ago at Knotty Pine Antiques near Keene, NH. It sat virtually glowing on a shelf. An absolutely pristine Jennings walnut machinist chest circa 1885. Probably unused. Perfect label inside. Original finish, hardware. Only a few fingerprints to show it was not sitting at the end of the production line in the Jennings factory ready for shipping. I could buy it!

But, the cost was $300. I was married with kids and SWMBO says they need new shoes and clothes for school.

And, it wasn't just a case of "I want". I actually needed that box! I have a number of old machinist tool that are rare (like the only one or two known) that would have looked great displayed in their proper period tool chest.

I still cry over that chest, even after 20+ years. It doesn't get cold enough in the Mid-Atlantic to require shoes until the end of November - right?

RIGHT@! Damn!!!

2 Starrett metal plates for $400.00! A BARGIN!!

:cheers:

He He He, are you suggesting "upgrading" a garden variety Gerstner or Union with these plates? Remember that it has to be a Honduras Mahogany chest to be "convincing" - most Gerstners are Oak.

I've already told my "big one that I let get away" story on this forum. 'Twasn't a tool chest, though.

My personal best tool chest story is buying a full-sized carpenter-joiner's chest with tills, worn to a beautiful patina, from a Camillus, NY antique shop for $35 in 2005. The astonishing thing is that, as big as it is, it went into the trunk of the 1992 Lincoln Town Car I was driving at the time, and the trunk lid shut! The dealer wanted it out of his shop because it took up a lot of room and smelled "mousy". A thorough scrubbing with vinegar took care of that! That chest is now the "coffee table" in my living room, and also a place to display antique tools.

John Ruth

here are some pics. there are some small scratches, and the one scuff mark by the door, but nothing deep. i haven't had a chance to clean it good.

Attachments

• DSCF0600.JPG
    DSCF0600.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 19,703
  • DSCF0601.JPG
    DSCF0601.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 16,656
Pictures were asked for, but I don't think any machinist chest could be called rare unless it was that circa 1885 Jennings I mentioned which was unused, mint, new!

Here are some pictures of a similar Jennings machinist chest:

Jennings-box1.jpg

Jennings-Box2.jpg

Jennings-Box3.jpg

Jennings-Box4.jpg

Note in the second picture in the back of the top compartment is a locking mechanism that locks the drawers.

I don't own a Jennings. Rivett saw to that!! :bawling:

I do have several circa 1885 style machinist chests including a couple made by the Bliss Toy Company in RI. I think most folks don't know their Bliss box is a Bliss box because the only name on it was a decal that was way to easily removed. And I did! With only Murphys Oil soap and water. Bummer :angry:

Incidentally, a lot of the early circa 1880-1890 Jennings style chests that look like they are made of Oak are actually made from Chestnut. Today, it is real tough to get chestnut wood.

a nice way to clean and restore the finish on this type of thing is Howards Restor-a-Finish. Antoque dealers use this all the time. It hides scratches and brings up the finish with out removing the patina. I have been told that Home Depot caries it now. Funny story, My Daughter and Boyfriend sublease an appartment in Brooklyn, which was partly furnished. When the moved in there was a massive old wood table. Afterwards they were horrified when they discovered the top got all scratched up. A while later the owners were coming back for the table and she called and asked what she should do. I told her to go over it with Howards, which she did and she told me it looked great. The owners came back and said " how did you get those scratches out? and make the table look so good? it turns out that they had scratched it up when they moved out!

tool chest???????????

Greetings,

Those pictured machinest chest are awesome and great finds. To think at one time they would become prized posessions and works of art. I hope I am not hi-jacking this post, but I have a question I hope to have answered under this post. I hace a chest that has been kicking around here for about 30 years. It does not have a name tag or any other ID on it.
I am hoping that someone here would be able to know who made or sold this chest. It measures 17" wide x 9"deep x 14" tall. The green felt was installed by the pervious owner. No history was provided with the chest when purchased. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, George

100_34632.jpg

100_34642.jpg

100_34622.jpg

Stef,

Great box. Thank you for posting it. And you have definitely not hi-jacked the thread - IMHO.

I have seen one other similar box to yours. It could be an exact match, but that was years ago and it was damaged. Your box looks to be in fine condition.

I also want to sincerely thank you for driving me nuts! :crazy:

I have been on the floor for an hour searching catalogs and for my Gerstner catalogs. Heck, if I still lived up north, Rivett could tell me exactly where the are, but with my move south, well, lets just say, he's lost it!

Right now, I can offer opinion in the hope it sparks battling responses until we get you a makers name.

The metal on the box - corner protectors and knobs sure look like Gerstner products. The locking mechanism does not. Neither does the raised panel top.

Someone who can find their Gerstner catalogs or even Strellinger or Montgomery & Co. catalogs, take a look. Did Gerstner make a roll front?

:typing:

FYI, I used to be in the case business making vinyl covered wood cases and using similar hardware. The corners, handles, latches etc are all standard. There were several makers, Excelsior was a big one in CT, and this old fashioned solid brass hardware was still available into the 90s so its use is not a good dating method. Even this construction could of been made well into the 80s in production, after that it is unlikely. We shut down our wood shop when workman's comp hit 30%!

Back