What's new
What's new

Steel Hardnesses

mystry_tour

Aluminum
Is there a cahr on line somewhere that will let me know the hardness of different types of steels.
Haven't been at this long enough to gather that knowledge as of yet
Reg

Is there a cahr on line somewhere that will let me know the hardness of different types of steels.
Reg

Reg

Hi Reg,
I'll take a quick stab at a reply because we're nearly neighbors. If you're new at machining, hardness may not be what you're thinking it is. There are a lot of properties of steel that affect it's machinability, hardness is only one of them. Most steels are purchased and machined in the annealed state. For practical purposes that is dead soft. You can specify pre-hardened such as 4140HT where the HT specifies heat treated. In that case your vendor would have the spec for the hardness of the particular lot.
If you are actually after machinability ratings for steel, there are charts that rate machinability as a percentage from a baseline. From memory 12L14 is 100%. That's soft, leaded steel that's used in most screw machine type parts due to it's excellent machinability. Other steels would be rated in comparison to that such as 4140 at 68% etc.
Some steels are soft but still machine terribly from a standpoint of trying to achieve a good surface finish, hold close tolerance, break chips and so on.
Hope that helps.

Greg

Hi Reg,
I'll take a quick stab at a reply because we're nearly neighbors. If you're new at machining, hardness may not be what you're thinking it is. There are a lot of properties of steel that affect it's machinability, hardness is only one of them. Most steels are purchased and machined in the annealed state. For practical purposes that is dead soft. You can specify pre-hardened such as 4140HT where the HT specifies heat treated. In that case your vendor would have the spec for the hardness of the particular lot.
If you are actually after machinability ratings for steel, there are charts that rate machinability as a percentage from a baseline. From memory 12L14 is 100%. That's soft, leaded steel that's used in most screw machine type parts due to it's excellent machinability. Other steels would be rated in comparison to that such as 4140 at 68% etc.
Some steels are soft but still machine terribly from a standpoint of trying to achieve a good surface finish, hold close tolerance, break chips and so on.
Hope that helps.

Greg

Hi Reg,
Hope that helps.

Greg

Back