What's new
What's new

Sticky quill in Lagun FT-1

DCBS

Plastic
I've got a Lagun FT-1 that I picked up recently for just $500, a great deal as it was mostly almost operational, despite being neglected for the last 10 years, only doing light duty as a pin press for electronics work and occasionally getting bumped by a forklift, as made evident by all the table/knee crank handles being broken to some degree. It was left in the rain next to a dumpster for about a month before eventually being sold to me. Amazingly the spindle bearings and the motor survived all this, and the table and knee even move smoothly.

Not so much the quill though.

I've been making do with the 1.5" or so of usable quill travel so far, with no powered feed, but now I'm getting around to tearing down the head to figure out what the deal is and try to fix it. I found the quill to be quite hard to remove even after taking things quite substantially apart, following the maintenance instructions in the Lagun manual, removing the spindle cartridge, the upper head assembly, and getting the quill past the pinion gear. I still had to whack it out using a 3/4" aluminum round and a medium soft-faced hammer, and it took a while. As best I can see there was no rust contributing to this excessive friction, and while there was a fair bit of grit, swarf and funk further up in the head, the quill and the close-fitting bore around it were clean and lubricated.l

The only substantial rub marks I can see on the quill line up with the edges of the cross-bore for the quill lock, and the edges of that hole are the only rough spot I can feel in the quill bore.

Before I go to work on these edges with a needle file and stone, does anyone have any suggestions, words of caution or general recommendations?

The quill, one of the rub marks top-left:

quill-rub-marks.jpeg

The rough-edged lock bore hole:
quill-lock-bore.jpeg

Back