What's new
What's new

Strange Renishaw OMP-40-2 probe open issue

russmill

Plastic
Before I send this probe to Renishaw through the repair by exchange program I thought I'd come here to rule out the possibility there may be more going on.
This started out of the blue after 15 years of flawless performance on a Haas mini-mill 2. When probing in a certain direction the back-off distance doesn't seem to be enough and often throws a probe open alarm.
I have re-initialized and re-calibrated the probe, although many times calibration fails due to this issue. For example if I probe in the Y+ it will contact, quickly back-off a very short amount and go in for the second touch and get probe open alarm. However probing in the Y- the back-off distance is normal and life is good. When I repeat the same process with the probe spun 180 degrees the Y+ is good and Y- errors out. Z probes fine, and when vector calibrating almost all points touched in the ring are normal except for the 2 or 3 that are in one particular direction. Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for looking

Check the runout of the probe stylus. What is it? It seems unlikely, but it sounds like it's got a ton of runout. Or maybe the sensor inside has shifted.

Run a single surface cycle and check #562 after it's done. What value is there?

Check the runout of the probe stylus. What is it? It seems unlikely, but it sounds like it's got a ton of runout. Or maybe the sensor inside has shifted.

Run a single surface cycle and check #562 after it's done. What value is there?
When I re-calibrated I switched from 6mm to a 4mm stylus and dialed it in .0001", I'll check what the back-off in #562 is when I get home thanks. I was reading a thread the other day about someone taking theirs apart and rotating the trigger mechanism 120 degrees and fixing his particular issue, I might try that tonight as well. It's just weird to me that everything works flawless for the most part, just not in one direction. If I don't get this solved tonight or tomorrow and am confident it's not the in the aging Haas control it'll be going to Renishaw for the RBE program

have you called Renishaw tech support directly, i had some weird stuff going on with mine once called them.
turned out that apparently when i as replacing the batteries i had bumped the stylus while it was initializing which will trigger it into setup/programming mode and inadvertently changed some setting.
when you put batteries in it re initializes all those blinks and colors mean something.......... they'll explain it to you. it's actually in the manual. i found it easier if they walked me through it though

have you called Renishaw tech support directly, i had some weird stuff going on with mine once called them.
turned out that apparently when i as replacing the batteries i had bumped the stylus while it was initializing which will trigger it into setup/programming mode and inadvertently changed some setting.
when you put batteries in it re initializes all those blinks and colors mean something.......... they'll explain it to you. it's actually in the manual. i found it easier if they walked me through it though
I haven't called them at this point, but I did confirm settings when re-initializing. Thanks that's a great suggestion

Last edited:

Back