What's new
What's new

Strange Retaining Ring on Motor Shaft - Unable to remove bearing

Are you going to sleeve the shaft? Seems like I turned mine down to 3/8 and loctited on a 303 ss sleeve. It's been running that way for years.

Tell us about that strange retaining ring that was holding the bearing on, I don’t think there was one on it. If there was one on it I wasn’t seeing it.

I have seen a strange retaining ring made of a couple of wraps of spring steel on edge, so it winds up like a washer. You have to pry out an end and then unwind it to get it off the shaft.

I would dunk the whole thing in Evaporust for 2-3 days followed by hot water rinse and then bake it at 250F for 2-3 hours. Take it out and scrub it with a wire brush every so often during the soak. If anything will let you see what's going on, that will. Won't hurt the plastic or any paint or wiring.

I have seen a strange retaining ring made of a couple of wraps of spring steel on edge, so it winds up like a washer. You have to pry out an end and then unwind it to get it off the shaft.

I would dunk the whole thing in Evaporust for 2-3 days followed by hot water rinse and then bake it at 250F for 2-3 hours. Take it out and scrub it with a wire brush every so often during the soak. If anything will let you see what's going on, that will. Won't hurt the plastic or any paint or wiring.

Those aren't strange. They're called Spirolox. That's academic anyway, there was pretty clearly no retaining ring on this shaft - or if there ever was, it rotted away long ago.

Back