What's new
What's new

Swapping drivetrain in an old Hyster...

macgyver

Stainless
I've got a mid 60's Hyster 12k lift that I am thinking about repowering with a more modern engine and automatic trans. My question is, is there any reason not to use a TH400 trans in the lift? I would keep the forward/reverse box and just use the Th400 as a range selector. The engine bay is wide open and would be a straight forward project, there is a driveshaft between the trans and for/rev box already that would be easy to modify. I'd put a big trans cooler on it as well. I have the parts on hand is part of my willingness to do it.

What am I missing? I don't see any reason not to do it. The current engine and trans is not working well at all, the clutch is a wet clutch I think? and only works sometimes, pedal is impossible to push down etc. I think my swap would simplify the machine for me greatly and I'd use it alot if it worked properly.

Personally, I am the guy that would see it beneficial to pull the auto out and put a wet clutch in.
Gears are by far my pref on a fork truck. (other than maybe dock or material handler)

That said - there is actually room in there for a 400? That's a long unit.
I would think that a Glide would be more appropriate, but the 400 would give you a lower first gear...
(700 lower yet I think, and same length)
Maybe you could find a manual valve body on E-bay?
I am purty sure that I wouldn't want that 400 lunging into 2nd when I was almost somewhere...
(I love the way that a 400 shifts!)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
IIRC ,the wet clutch Hyster has the F&R in the diff centre ...anyhoo ,the ones I had did ,they were H80s .......if so then an auto will be OK ,as the higher speeds can be used

Personally, I am the guy that would see it beneficial to pull the auto out and put a wet clutch in.
Gears are by far my pref on a fork truck. (other than maybe dock or material handler)

That said - there is actually room in there for a 400? That's a long unit.
I would think that a Glide would be more appropriate, but the 400 would give you a lower first gear...
(700 lower yet I think, and same length)
Maybe you could find a manual valve body on E-bay?
I am purty sure that I wouldn't want that 400 lunging into 2nd when I was almost somewhere...
(I love the way that a 400 shifts!)

I think a 400 will fit with the short tail shaft. I had also thought about the manual valve body. I'm not attached to using a 400, I have a few different ones to choose from and would also be willing to find a different one if it made sense. I like the idea of a lower first gear. I know there are some aftermarket options for gear sets on the glide and the 400, but I am not looking to get that far off a stock trans.

Many moons ago I built a 400 for my first truck and put the max effort shift kit in it and it was extreme for a street driven vehicle, ended up backing it off as it was tearing stuff up.

Yes, I'm thinking V8.

Now I'm wondering how to figure out what the gear ratios are in the trans that's in it now. If the difference between current low gear and whatever new low would be is too much it may just not have a creep speed..

The F/R box is bolted to the diff.

The other two lifts I have are just a forward/reverse single speed. The little one is a Datsun with separate clutch and brake pedal, but the clutch will brake too when at the bottom of the stroke. This is my favorite machine in the shop to use. The other is a 5k Hyster with single speed, F/R lever and the clutch and brake is the same pedal. I dislike this one, but it fills a need. I figured an auto would make the big one similar to operate as the Datsun. Maybe put a slight stall converter in it to reduce push at idle?

I don't know anything about forklift transmissions, but I'm thinking that putting a drivetrain in from a vehicle that could hit 100 mph seems odd. I know the wheels are smaller, but........
What am I missing here ?
Bob

Last edited:
I'd vote for a 4.3L V6 Chevy and a 'glide. I once had a 2 speed forklift and 1st was very slow. Torque converter lock up was also at a low rpm. It was great, especially in rough, outdoor situations. No reving the engine to crawl over some obstacle to have it run away on the other side.

I don't anything about forklift transmissions, but I'm thinking that putting a drivetrain in from a vehicle that could hit 100 mph seems odd. I know the wheels are smaller, but........
What am I missing here ?
Bob
Maybe you could make a lock out on the shifter so it only goes into R N L & P

Back