What's new
What's new

[Swiss lathe] Sub spindle OD turning holder

cyber0826

Plastic
Hey everyone.

We've been running this STAR SB-12R for a couple of months. The shop currenly runs 303 SS on it. Facing and OD turning is only done on the sub side using a boring bar. Wouldn't it make better sense to use a proper turning holder for back facing and turning? What are you guys using for sub turning? We don't do any ID work on the sub. To add to to this, I can't get my chips to break when turning on the sub side unlike the main.

We currently use a Micro 100 quick change holder and boring bar on the sub side for OD turning. That's what our STAR rep recommended and this is our shops first swiss so we went along with it.

Hey everyone.

We've been running this STAR SB-12R for a couple of months. The shop currenly runs 303 SS on it. Facing and OD turning is only done on the sub side using a boring bar. Wouldn't it make better sense to use a proper turning holder for back facing and turning? What are you guys using for sub turning? We don't do any ID work on the sub. To add to to this, I can't get my chips to break when turning on the sub side unlike the main.

We currently use a Micro 100 quick change holder and boring bar on the sub side for OD turning. That's what our STAR rep recommended and this is our shops first swiss so we went along with it.

Usually boring tools are used, because ain't no way to hold stick tool. Can you hold a stick tool on the sub side? I googled your machine and doesn't seem you can. Pics, maybe?

Last edited:

Back