What's new
What's new

Swiss sub-spindle turning tool holder?

zSwiss

Aluminum
What is everyone using for sub-spindle turning work? I have seen several 1" round shank 35* holders in videos and on machines, but for the life of me I cannot find one. At least a stock one that does not have to be cut down. Seen several Sandvik and other big name boring bars that look to fit the bill, but they are all 12+" long.

Is everyone modifying boring bars or does someone sell Swiss specific holders and I just cannot search well enough?

What is everyone using for sub-spindle turning work? I have seen several 1" round shank 35* holders in videos and on machines, but for the life of me I cannot find one. At least a stock one that does not have to be cut down. Seen several Sandvik and other big name boring bars that look to fit the bill, but they are all 12+" long.

Is everyone modifying boring bars or does someone sell Swiss specific holders and I just cannot search well enough?

When the need arises I just cut them to length. Do not have any 1 inch bars for turning now but have used in the past. They are just too clunky for my purpose. It does seem wasteful to cut down but I'm not aware of short big bars specifically for swiss. And likely if you find something specifically swiss they won't be cheaper because, well, it's for swiss style stuff.

Most of my pickoff work is not turning intensive. Have 25mm pockets and I use a 3/4 35* mitsubishi bar in a 25mm bushing, 3/8 ccmt bar or 1/4 cd bar in custom 25mm durabar extension holders. PH Horn for small stuff. For heavier threading a 25mm sandvik laydown bar, cut to short length from a long bar, and located in the first station always for clearance.

PH Horn has some neat swiss holders for turning inserts and boring bars that bolt right to the tooling block for specific machines. I'm sure they are spendy and they might get in the way of adjacent tools, just like the big boring bars do.

Less worry about clearance and light cutting means I usually use small bars.

For Swiss specific, you can get NTK DS-SDUL19-ACH is a 19.05 (3/4") diameter sub spindle turning holder for a DCGT insert, with a screw to adjust center height. For shorter stick outs, you want GRAF (sister company of Horn USA) back turn holders. If you tell me what machine and what insert you want to use, I can show you the holder.

For Swiss specific, you can get NTK DS-SDUL19-ACH is a 19.05 (3/4") diameter sub spindle turning holder for a DCGT insert, with a screw to adjust center height. For shorter stick outs, you want GRAF (sister company of Horn USA) back turn holders. If you tell me what machine and what insert you want to use, I can show you the holder.

You know me, cannot get away from the A20... :sulk:

Ordered a Sandvik 1" bar that I think will fit the bill once it is shortened. Will keep those others in mind for future work though!

I use a Sandvik super long bar and just push it through the band saw to fit in the machine. I also leave an Iscar “Multi-Function” tool in my back tooling you can turn, drill, and bore with. It’s not ideal for much but very versatile and saves me setup time.

Good luck!

Band saw a boring bar?
Aren't your bars hard?

Z: It is normal to shorten a bar to match your needs.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Band saw a boring bar?
Aren't your bars hard?

Z: It is normal to shorten a bar to match your needs.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I don't know about a band saw, but I've cut plenty of holders on the lathe with a carbide insert and a file to chamfer the edges.

Some tools I have been able to just use a cutoff tool in the lathe - yes.
But even those I wouldn't want to muck up a good saw blade!

Others are way harder and I have had to turn them slowly down to point of break off.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Most insert toolholders and boring bars are mid 40 hard so a band saw with a good blade works and if you need to modify 100 of them it is the fast way.
There are some in the 50s but that is rare. One needs to be able to finish that pocket and maybe drill and tap after heat treat.
Some bars are carbed and surface hard, .030 deep. Others nitrided but that also a skin.
Obviously a carbide bar and band saw will not play well together. :eek:

An abrasive cut off wheel in a manual surface grinder while not fast will cut even the hardest steel bar or toolholder.
Bob

Picked up this, but someone had an interesting idea that works in brass at least... Will get it shortened up in case this fails on the actual material or need it on another project.

2022-04-29+11.14.33.jpg

2022-04-29+09.44.02.jpg

Back