What's new
What's new

Tail stock lock lever question

Please use titles that reflect the topic. For example: "10EE tailstock question".

Is this for a Monarch lathe? What model/year?

Cal

The tail stock locking eyebolt rides on a cam on the locking shaft.
IMG_7038.jpg
The cam is to the left of the eye bolt as I was in the process of assembly here. So as you rotate the shaft it raises / lowers the eyebolt that locks the tailstock.
IMG_7079.jpg
This is the end of the tailstock with the locking shaft sticking out. I have an alignment punch in it right now. So depending on the orientation of that shaft when the locking lever is placed on it, will determine the direction you push / pull the lever to lock it on. The lever is attached with a tapper pin and a set screw, so most likely it will only go on in one orientation.

Old thread but same question. My 10EE Square dial had a cobbled handle, so I'm replacing it with a new forging from Martin Models. I have to locate and drill the handle and shaft for the taper pin. Grant provided a great description of the function/ how the handle works, but there seems to be multiple configurations. Is there a correct one or majority? Watching one of Keith's lathe restoration videos his tailstock was locked in place with the horn away from the operator and unlocked when pulled towards the operator. I'm just trying to understand how the experts on this forum have their handles clocked :)

Cal, The title of the thread was never changed base on your recommendation. Perhaps you can edit the title.

Locked?
IMG_3427.JPEG

Unlocked ?
IMG_3426.JPEG

Back