What's new
What's new

Takisawa TSL-1000 how to remove collet closer off of tail stock

TWO

Plastic
How do I remove the collet piece off the spindle end it had 2 set screws on it. I'm not sure if it is threaded on or just stuck any help would be greatly appreciate
Thanks Tom

Attachments

• lathe 1.jpg
    lathe 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 23
  • lathe 2.jpg
    lathe 2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Maybe you could just clean around it?

Leaving it in place would save the work of taking it off and setting it up again. IIRC, it should run concentric with the spindle axis of rotation within a thou or so. Fussy work, and taking it off and putting it back on takes time that may be better used elsewhere. If it can be avoided, the lathe will be operational that much faster.

I'm curious as to why it needs to come off.

Nice lathe, BTW. I have the slightly shorter version.

Maybe you could just clean around it?

Leaving it in place would save the work of taking it off and setting it up again. IIRC, it should run concentric with the spindle axis of rotation within a thou or so. Fussy work, and taking it off and putting it back on takes time that may be better used elsewhere. If it can be avoided, the lathe will be operational that much faster.

I'm curious as to why it needs to come off.

Nice lathe, BTW. I have the slightly shorter version.
The main reason would be to replace the belts if needed at a later date. I had to remove the belt pully to get the belts off
this time and I will be putting new one on when I put it back together. Plus if I ever have to replace the seals or bearing it would be nice to know how to remove it. Is your spindle treaded and if it is are they on the OD or ID?
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Tom

Tom-

My lathe may be different than yours - my drive belts have an idler/tensioner so replacing belts is as easy as releasing the tension on the idler and taking the belts off, which also don't connect to the spindle.

A larger pic of the drivetrain at that end of the lathe might be helpful.

Just for the record, my TSL closer piece slips on and off. Yours is stuck, as was mine when I got it. I have to remove and replace it with the closer as the access door can’t be opened with it in place.

Back