What's new
What's new

Talon Grips Tips

CEnsor

Plastic
I'm in the process of switching over my workflow to using talon grips. I mill 90% 6061 bar stock. I've read that they don't do well with the corner radius present on most bar stock. Any tips for using talon grips with raw bar stock. I don't want to have to prep every blank before op 1. I want to be able to take it straight off the saw and put it in the mill like I've done for years.

If you’re willing to waste more material, take a look at Versagrip jaws. They grab about double the depth as Talongrips, and can handle heavy stock radii.

Says it allows from .050 to .125" clamp depth for a set of 6" jaws (I think)

I have not used it but I gather you would mill some of the top of the jaw off of standard talon grip jaws, or make your own with shallow slot.

They also apparently have a newer 6/8" talon grip jaw, where the grippers for it hold onto about .100": https://www.miteebite.com/products/8-talongrip-vise-jaw-system/

I like the versa grip jaws but find the standard round grippers a bit too aggressive for flat aluminum. They do make "heavy duty" grippers that don't bite in as much but allow much higher clamping forces for harder stuff. The high pressure isn't really applicable for you, but would work fine for clamping your aluminum at regular clamping pressure.

I mostly run 6061 extrusion in Talon grips, Serra jaws, never had an issue.
where you can have an issue is if you use only a couple talon grips, but you use high torque on the vise, this will dig in deep and sometimes just rip the aluminum off.
try to use as many talon grips as possible.
I actually like using Serra jaws more than using talon grips.

edit: also you need to know the torque applied in closing the jaws is divided amongst all the talon grip faces, so you really need to have the same amount of surface area for both sides of the part.
having 2 talons on the front jaw and 5 in the back jaw, with the back jaw having more surface are will push the jaw with less bites deeper into the part, and the side with more more shallow.
the shallow side being capable of being pulled out. So try to have the same amount of bites front and back of the part.

Last edited:
I gave up on fiddling with the little grippers and screws and just made my own jaws. Mine are also flippable with steps on the opposite side for op-2. My serrated side grips are .08" deep to to deal with radius on some stock. Made them from carvesmart 1018 bar stock. Been fine with aluminum so far.

Usually not a problem with 6061, but you can always use taller grippers (0.125"), e.g.

- Anderson Mfg Serra Bites
- MMM-USA Piranhas
- The larger 3/4" square Mitee Bite Talon Grips

Last edited:
idk about you guys, but when I've dealt with larger 6061, often the radius is actually pretty big. Larger as in 4" square or so. Smaller stuff, like 2", probably wouldn't be an issue, i agree.

currently have a job running 2.5" square 1045 and I have to prep the edge for the talon grip as it's just too close to not biting, and I have had one rip out on me because it pushed up on one side and it was not noticed. Threw the part once it started cutting after a couple seconds. But again, that's 1045, not aluminum.

idk about you guys, but when I've dealt with larger 6061, often the radius is actually pretty big. Larger as in 4" square or so. Smaller stuff, like 2", probably wouldn't be an issue, i agree.

currently have a job running 2.5" square 1045 and I have to prep the edge for the talon grip as it's just too close to not biting, and I have had one rip out on me because it pushed up on one side and it was not noticed. Threw the part once it started cutting after a couple seconds. But again, that's 1045, not aluminum.
Yeah I do larger that that even also in 6061, and its fine, no big radii

Usually not a problem with 6061, but you can always use taller grippers (0.125"), e.g.

- Anderson Mfg Serra Bites
- MMM-USA Piranhas
- The larger 3/4" square Mitee Bite Talon Grips
Do the larger 3/4” talon grips work with your gen 4 dual station vises?

I’ve used standard Talon Grips with many different sizes and sources of 6061 & 7075 bar up to like 3” x 3” and have not had any issues with the cleats not biting. Only issue I ever had was trying to grip the sawn edges of poorly sawn bar — a piece sawn a little crooked was only gripped at one end, and got launched. But never when gripping the extruded edges.

Regards.

Mike

General tips for running Talon grips;

1- For general purpose work, my experience is that gripping 0.08"/2mm is going to suffice for all but the most extreme corner radius on extruded stock I've ever run into.

2- As noted; only grip the raw extruded or qualified parallel sections of stock. A minor angle in one side is going to cause big grip issues.

3- Do not bring in the old dead-blow to "seat" stock into them.

4- For thin parts, or where your material hat is going to be very thin, torque to bite into the stock, then re-clamp with significantly less grip. When you put the big gronk on stock then machine most of the material off, you are going to wind up bending the carrier in funky ways. With Talons, the whole point is you've indented the material meaning you do not need as much active clamping torque for the actual machining process.

4b- As an alternative to the above, you can order your operations to compensate for any carrier flex, just remove the vast majority of the material in your initial Op1, get the slight rise from the bending carrier, then do all your finish work after that flex has set in. Since this is Op1, and everything is relative, it won't matter if the IPW flexes up a little as everything will compensate out.

5- Talon grips are really not suitable for mass-scale production in an automated environment. People get away from it, but you're playing with process reliability fire. Unless your margins on material cost are dangerously low, grip 3mm of stock - there is a reason every Euro trash high-end 5 axis vise from Lang, or Schunk/Gressle, or Hemo, or Erowa have standardized on 3mm of grip stock - it is more reliable overall. Who cares in 6061, but you can get into a real Sophie's Choice if you're working with materials who's costs have gone through the roof like 6al-4v or 17-4. Be smart, and in-process probing of raw stock condition and seating is always your friend.

I’ve used standard Talon Grips with many different sizes and sources of 6061 & 7075 bar up to like 3” x 3” and have not had any issues with the cleats not biting. Only issue I ever had was trying to grip the sawn edges of poorly sawn bar — a piece sawn a little crooked was only gripped at one end, and got launched. But never when gripping the extruded edges.

Regards.

Mike
I'm too chicken to try gripping on saw-cut ends. :sulk:

Back