What's new
What's new

Tap and die for Dremel tool

Does there exist a 7/64" tap? If so where could I purchase one?
Thanks
The decimal equivalent of 7/64 inch is .1094 inch. A 4-40 UNC class 2A machine screw thread has a minimum major diameter of .1069 inch and a maximum major diameter of .1112 inch, so it is approximately equivalent to 7/64-40 UNS. Taps for no. 4 threads with other standard and special pitches are available.

Larry

About thirty or forty years ago, I helped a co-worker with his kid's Pinewood Derby project. He asked me to make the nails round and polished where the wheels bear and true up the outside of the wheels. I used a watchmaker's lathe for the job, probably the most suitable machine. Trouble was, the remaining nail diameter was way smaller than the holes in the wheels. The wheels wobble a lot, even if the nails are not turned down. I bet many, many hours of effort have been wasted on such projects.

Larry
We just cleaned up the burrs on the nails and relieved the center but only by a couple thou. Not noticable unless one is looking for it. Also trued up the od on the wheels and put a slight taper to them to ensure they only ride on the edge. Worked as much graphite into the plastic as we could before taking it off the lathe. We got a lot of comments about how quietly it went down the track.

I did some work for a guy who bought a watchmakers lathe for a project and ended up farming it out to me to do on my 10". He said the watchmaker lathe just was not precise enough. I don't know what kind he found or the condition but I always found it odd that a machine intended for making small parts couldn't hold tolerances.

The trick for the pinewood derby is to make sure only 3 of the wheels are in contact with the track.
That and make the car turn ever so slightly into the rail. We flipped the block over and used machined jigs for drilling new holes so the rear were exactly concentric or as good as wood allows, and the front had one wheel a few thou above the track and the other pointed in just a hair.

Back