What's new
What's new

Tapping 4340 ht (M24-3.0 125mm thru hole)

I'm usually just handed a print and part, sometimes a half-assed program that needs a ton of work.

I peaked at what our programmer spit out to thread mill this at the end of the day yesterday and it took something like 28 passes to complete the thread. At this point I am leaning towards fuck it, I'll sit on my ass and read a good book or two if that's what they want.

So you sit there at the control or PC editing programs? Seems a waste of your valuable time and expertise.

As to 28 passes that's implausible, I don't for a second believe that's what you were given. The thread depth is 1.5mm per side. That's 2 passes tops.

So you sit there at the control or PC editing programs? Seems a waste of your valuable time and expertise.

As to 28 passes that's implausible, I don't for a second believe that's what you were given. The thread depth is 1.5mm per side. That's 2 passes tops.

I assume he means axial passes, perhaps using a 2-3 pitch threadmill with a little overlap...

If I had to threadmill this I'd be aiming for a single pass single helix with a single pitch threadmill.

I don't think OP ever mentioned the pitch circle diameter, but at 120 holes it must be pretty big, being presumably (assuming no Y) polar interpolated on a reasonably big live tool VTL, it's going to be SLOW slow going, even with a single pass.

If OP reckons he is going to sit and read a book while it's running - he could do War and Peace cover to cover perhaps...

Back